Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

New To Digital Painting - Need Advice

:icontimberfleet:
Timberfleet Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So, I've started to get more into dA lately, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for starting out on digital painting. I can draw on paper pretty well, but I'd like to be able to accomplish the same detail with digital art and effects. Any recommendations on products or programs that would help? I know a drawing tablet would help tremendously, but I an't exactly afford one right now... But any recommendations for tablkets would also be great!
And any tips that can help me with digital painting would help, too. :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontiereight:
tierEight Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ctrl+Paint
[link]
[link]
Timberfleet Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ah! Thank you so much!
This should help a lot. :meow:
:iconmarialamsa:
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hi there! I'm also quite ''new'' with digital drawing/painting but I think I've some good advice for you! :)
1. You need to train A LOT!
2. Try to find some artists that you like, which styles do they use? Have they made any tutorials? Videos?
3. Look at tutorials and videos on youtube ( I don't mean that you shall copy them, but look at their techniques )
4. Just keep drawing even if it doesn't look exactly like you want to in the beginning! Just practice more then. :)

I did my first digital drawing in march 2012 (lineart on paper) it looked like this:
A couple of months later I drew like this:
For some months ago I drew like this:
And NOW I've bought a tablet and draw like this:

I've been drawing/painting digitally in 8 months and have improved this much just by following the four steps above. If I can; you can! :-) Good luck!
Timberfleet Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh, wow. Such a difference a tablet seems to make... Thank you for the tips! :D
:iconfrozenpanther:
FrozenPanther Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
A program I use to help make my digital paintings not look so 'flat' i got paint tool SAI
theres this tool called 'water'
its the cheat to everything

and i have a bamboo wacom tablet:)
Timberfleet Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oooh, I'll keep that in mind, thank you! :)
:iconfrozenpanther:
FrozenPanther Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
You're welcome!:D
:iconelement--dragon:
Element--Dragon Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Definitely look into SAI for your art program. It is by far the best 'like RL' painting program I've found. Plus, you can try it free for 31 days. It is only about 60$ US and well worth it. Frankly, getting SAI has improved my digital art style 10 fold.

When you do get funds for some hardware upgrades to your drawing I strongly suggest making sure you stick to things using the Wacom tech. Yes it is more expensive, for a reason, it's the best.

Also, I've found that used tablet pcs are cheaper than the wacom tablets...especially if you go on ebay and check out pre-owned ones. I've managed to pick up a Toshiba m700 used in great condition for only ~300$ US. It lets me draw right on the screen. Sure it can't run games, but that's not what I bought it for. When you compare it to some to the higher feature wacom tablets prices (that you can't draw on the screen) it isn't a bad deal. The down side of this tactic is they are harder to find and it is hard to find out if a tablet is Wacom penabled. Trust me, don't get one that isn't Wacom penabled. Anyways, just keep the tablet pc's in mind when it does come time for a tablet. :)
Timberfleet Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely look into Wacom tablets as I have heard great things about them before. And, it's funny, I had no idea SAI even existed until today... :P
But yeah, thanks again, I'll look into SAI and do some research on the Wacom tablets, and hopefully test SAI today.
:icondigitalisvitae:
DigitalisVitae Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Wacom bamboo fun. There is a learning curve for digital.
Add a Comment: