Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 46

How much would you pay for my art?

:iconrainydaysahead:
RainyDaysAhead Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm thinking of opening up human commissions for the first time, but I would like some opinions- how much would you pay for my art? [Semi-Realistic Human, not pony art or anything else you might find in my gallery. xD]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnatsumoka:
natsumoka Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012   Digital Artist
Honestly?

It's not good enough to pay over $5

You can try the points market, but it's really crappy. I don't have enough experience there, but I've seen people complained because someone charged 200 freaking points. That's not even worth my morning Starbucks.
:iconspifmo:
Spifmo Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
probably about 5 bucks c:
RainyDaysAhead Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you for the feedback! n_n <3
:iconmarialamsa:
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I would pay about 50 points or 3-4$.. :-) I REALLY like your style but it sure need a lot of improvement. Especially the anatomy! But like I said, I like your style. ;)
:iconnaariel:
Naariel Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
ok, technically:
80 points = 1 USD

just so you know.
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh I remembered wrong than.. xD I thought it was like 10 points..
:iconnaariel:
Naariel Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hehe, understandable. :)
MariaLamsa Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A little bit embarrassing though.. ;)
RainyDaysAhead Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Okay, thank you for the feedback! c:
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I guess you are asking because you feel you need the money, or points to pay for membership. I am sure most people would just pay for your membership and not ask for anything, but if you want money that would be harder to get.
Lets say tou print something out and want to send it over seas. It is a high risk that what ever you send is going to get destroyed in shipping. I sent out prints and they were torn in half. so don't think they will get anything if you don't send money to sent it. Like in cardboard tubes like DA Prints sends out. It is a good chance they don't want to pay enough to ship it, or have it printed.

It takes a lot of points to sent your art to someone I don't think 100 points would be enough and that means you have to pay people to take your art if they can't pay enough.

I just think I would be a nice thing to think about but, you have to be really good to make it work the effort. I know I was more than good enough when I sold art to companies, and never letting anyone know my art was ever bad helped my art spread really fast, because I had no bad art.

Right now you are making a reputation as an artist, and if you are not ready you can only make it harder to get started later, because old post last forever, and unless you have to do more to make your art look good.
Yes, I am asking because I am interested in a membership, and I currently only have 50 points. n_n;
I understand what you mean, and if I did have people pay for my art, I'd make sure not to make them prints so I wouldn't have to ship it to them c:
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I paid for other peoples membership before when I had money. I only paid for my own once, because it don't seem that great to me. I just did it fir people that wanted to know what it was like.

I have very bad luck. I was in a contest and the prize was one year membership. It was a skin contest and everyone had to submit a finished media player skin. There was 4 people that entered the contest and the prizes will cover 3 winners. One just draw a picture or copied it for the main section of the player and was missing buttons so everyone assumed we had three winners. The only three that finished. I was one of the three, and the guy that didn't follow the rules came in first place. I lost.
This was here on DA so this can be a very unfair place, but I hope when I have the money I can by other people a membership just to show not everyone is kissing butts to cheat everyone.
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Personally I wouldn't buy and I don't think I would be your target market as I am not interested. :) However, if I would buy in the future would depend on how improved your work would be and the styles you do finally choose during that time, which is an uncertain about giving you an estimate. But as others have suggested, you should practice on your anatomy and colour and other elements of drawing/painting. Also, don't forget to do free requests once in a while if you are able to. You could as well sell deviantID commissions like when you are improved. That shows promise. :nod:
I guess what I should really put as the title is "how much do you think my art is worth", not "how much would you pay". xD I'm not really looking for potential buyers at the moment, I'm just curious to see what people think my art is worth so I can price it in the future. c:
Thank you much for the feedback, I'll definitely try and work on my anatomy as so many have said. n_n
Thank you so much, I'll keep in mind what you said about deviantIDs and requests! c:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Since I wouldn't be interested, it would be unwise to just say your art at this moment is worth a specific price given you have a lot to practice. I think you are still at a crossroads for thinking about how much your work is worth now at this point, though it is fine if someone thinks of a certain amount. You might get an idea comparing with others who you think have the same level at you and how their prices are set (you would have to see it objectively).
No problem. :hug: If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I will, thanks again!~ <3
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Welcome!
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student General Artist
Well I wouldn't buy your art. It's not bad, it's just not really proffesional. (And neither is mine,) but keep improving and one day, you will make it to that level. I can imagine you putting your skills for like, children book illustration.
Thank you for the feedback!
I understand it's not professional, I'd just be looking to draw people's personal characters for a bit of virtual currency. (:
I don't expect that my art WILL become "professional" for a very long time to come; after all, I just started high school, and I've only been drawing digitally for a year or two. c: <3
Well if I showed you the shit I did my freshman year you'd crack up at how bad they are xD
D'awwww, I bet it was all super cute <3
If you saw some of the stuff I did LAST year you'd laugh just as hard.
...lol I shredded most of it, it was pretty sad. xD
No it was the Disney Channel stars like Miley Cyrus and Zac Efron veing eaten by an alien :D
... pffffft!
That's hilarious. xD
:icontheblackbullets:
TheBlackBullets Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Like, 25 points. Your anatomy needs a lot of work, but if you're willing to work hard on it, I'm sure you'll come around.
Okay, thanks! c:
Yeah, I've only been drawing digitally for about two years, and I've only been taking it seriously for one year, so I definitely have time and room to improve! n_n
:icontheblackbullets:
TheBlackBullets Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Really? Wow, you're a hell of a lot better than I was when I was drawing digitally for 2 years.
:iconeuterpe-the-egret:
Euterpe-The-Egret Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I wouldn't pay more than $5. Your style needs some work. Keep practicing (focus on anatomy and drawing from live subjects for a bit) and your skills will grow.
Okay, thank you very much!
I'll keep that in mind, I appreciate the feedback and critique! <3
:iconeuterpe-the-egret:
Euterpe-The-Egret Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
No problem. Message me if you want further (and more specific critiques). :)
:icongabrielleragusi:
gabrielleragusi Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012   Digital Artist
My suggestion is that when you want to start taking commissions, before doing that it's really helpful to accept free requests: they help you improving. You can get better with your own style, fixing the most common mistakes (ex. anatomy, pose ecc...) and you get better understanding what and how the client wants the comission to be done.

Now, getting back to the topic, I would say that I would pay max $5 or 20-40 points for your drawings.
I'm sure you are going to have a great future as an artist =)
Okay, thank you very much, I'll keep that suggestion in mind! <3
Thank you for the suggestion and the estimation of how much my art is worth. c:
No problem!
:iconhaanpere:
HaanPere Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012   Digital Artist
Max $5 or $0.25-$0.50? :stare:
80 points = $1
I know that.
I wouldn't commission something serious with points. 20-40 points for a rough sketch or those ponies she draws while I would pay with USD for serious commissions, more detailed drawings. Something like this

I know I should have said this thing in the first comment too. Sorry, my bad.
And you'd pay max $5 for something as detailed as this example?
:stare: Artists are slaves, aren't they?
When I started taking commissions myself, my first client, an italian magazine, paid me 4 euros x image ($5,50 dollars or so) and when I asked if we could discuss on it, they told me that if I wasn't happy with that I could even give up on the job. I don't think artists are slaves (though, the best artist are artists for theirselves and them only, not for clients) but when you are on these levels and you are beginning this work, that's the maximum I would pay.
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think your quality of art is too good for them. I know it never hurts to ask, but you have to know you are better than that.

I was offered $200 for 6 months at something I could do in a day. But, they didn't want me to finish, they just thought my art would be too much to compete with so they wanted to stop me for 6 months in a contract. This was just a rip off with more money than you were paid. So big companies can pay $1500 for one picture as long as the original is deleted.

So who ever you were paid was not doing it for the company, or they paid you to claim they did the work.
gabrielleragusi Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012   Digital Artist
Well, I understand your point, but I was asked to create many pieces, more than 15, I don't remember... The problem was the time I would spend on them and, well, I got better only a few years after that job; at the time I was still a beginner. But yes, now I tend to accept contracts only after claiming all my rights and the right prices.
Thank you =)
They were seriously ripping you off, then. :U (by the way, I've European, too, so no need to translate euros to dollars in future)
No artist should ever be paid under minimum wage no matter the skill level and in my opinion it's better to pass being ripped off and continue developing one's skills than take each lousy pay job and work the prices up extremely slowly if at all. People get used to low prices and think art isn't worth the years and years of dedicated work that goes into it and the entire industry suffers.
I should know, I started with shit prices, now nobody will offer me more than a fifth of the price my commissions are worth. :I At max.
gabrielleragusi Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012   Digital Artist
Well, now that I understood many things about how an artist should act before clients, I tend to say myself that I'm not going to accept a work if they are not willing to pay the price I'm asking. If clients don't accept this little request, they can just go to hell, with all my respect of course =)
HaanPere Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012   Digital Artist
I approve of this attitude. :thumbsup:
:icondigitalisvitae:
DigitalisVitae Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Oof. I don't think I'm your target market.
That's okay, thanks anyways for looking!~
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You mean ?

Hmm... :iconthinkplz:

I guess maybe around 35 points for one character with background then add about 15 points for a second character? I suck at commission price estimation... sorry. :saddummy:

But it looks great! You're a great artist!
Yes, like that!

Thank you so much for the estimate! I just don't want my art to be overpriced, and at the same time, I don't want to be giving my art away, I put a lot of work into it. x)

Thank you so much again, both for the estimate and the kind compliment. ; v ; <3
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You're welcome!!
Add a Comment: