Closed to new replies
November 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Opensource?

:iconosioxana:
Osioxana Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've always used Photoshop and although I like using it and I am rather fluent in it, it is just far too expensive and I really cannot be spending that much for each computer in my office. I had a look at GIMP which has improved significantly over the years but I am still struggling to achieve the simplest things (eg. the default paintbrush dynamics in Photoshop has been impossible to replicate in GIMP). I've tried out Krita, which is a rather fun program to use, it is sort of like Paint SAI, although my main issue with it is that it hasn't been very well optimized and has some lag issues.

So long story short, :) I apologize for my life story, who here uses an opensource or significantly cheaper drawing/painting/image-manipulating program that they can recommend?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
[link] looks like something.
:icondavidkatara:
davidKatara Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Try googling "MyPaint". It's a very popular open-source painting tool and it rocks. :)
Osioxana Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I actually tried mypaint the other day, it's very cool that it is a straight forward painting program and it's easy to just dive into. My only problems though are that I require some extra tools (lasso, hue & saturation, brightness & contrast etc.) and I did find the brushes a little unpredictable which made painting a little difficult, but I think it mostly takes getting used to and one is encouraged to make their own brushes and so on.

What stuff do you use it for? (if it is your chosen medium)
Osioxana Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The sad thing is that when you go to a digital arts college they teach you these programs which are obviously added in the college fee, and once you've spent a few years at the college only learning these programs, when you graduate they are pulled away from you and you're left in the dark to fend for yourself. And that is why I am here, lost and confused, asking these questions.

ty, I've left a comment on your post. :)
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
I use GIMP and do perfectly fine with it.
I use it in combination with Inkscape (for vectors, also open source) and Scribus (for DTP).

GIMP won't operate like Photoshop because the only thing that is PS is PS. GIMP operates in it's own uniquely Gimp way, and I suggest just having a play about with it to see what it's capable of (a lot).

I personally prefer the brush settings in GIMP, they react better and so I paint better, but not everyone feels the same.
Ok so it just takes getting used to. My main issue was trying to edit the brush dynamics to decrease the brush size as you ease up on the pen pressure but I've noticed that it isn't detecting my pen pressure at all. Have you had problems like this? I looked up answers and the solutions were random and unstable, I still haven't gotten it to work.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
There's an option somewhere.. uh google will tell you?

What I do find is that if I don't open gimp with my tablet pen (ie click on the gimp logo with my pen not a mouse) my pen doesn't work. If this was Photoshop I'd be raging as I'd paid for it. But it's GIMP and it's free so a couple of quirks I can handle. Perhaps try shutting gimp and opening it with the tablet pen?
I've been all over the web searching for answers, but yeah I guess it's free so one can't expect it to be perfect. I'll just give it another shot. Thanks :)
:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Add a Comment: