Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

How can I make the result of using a paint bucket tool look less "pixely"?

:iconpringlesaddict99:
pringlesaddict99 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I drew the lineart and, since painting the whole thing black takes me a lot of time, I decided just to copy the lineart on another layer (not copying a the layer, but covering the edges with paint on another layer) and I thought I could just fill it with colour using the paint bucket tool. But the result is terrible! There is a lot of white space between the lineart and the colour I put there using the paint bucket. Uhhh... sorry I suck at explaining. It also looks very.... pixely.
Here, an example: [link]

I'm not really familiar with paint bucket settings because I don't usually use it, so can I change the settings? And if I can, what should I change?

I'm using Photoshop CS6

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
An easy way is to set the edges to bleed, maybe one or two pix. That will give it a soft edge.

Also, use the paintbucket on the layer beneath the one you are using. Make a new one if you don't have it. Use the select tool to select the entire area you want colored, then paintbucket. The color will go underneath the lines, and since they are on another layer you won't get that line of color where your lineart bleeds.
Thank you! I'll try that :)
:iconlittlesardines:
LittleSardines Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional Filmographer
If you want to use the paint bucket to fill in line art, the line art needs to be drawn without any anti aliasing, so that when you use the bucket tool it runs right up to the edge of a solid line instead of a smoothed one. It also needs to create a fully closed shape, where all of your lines meet another line so that the fill doesn't go outside your lines like it has in the image you provided.
Unfortunately painting pictures without anti aliasing makes it pretty difficult to get smooth looking lines in a raster program like Photoshop, but you might be able to start without anti aliasing and then turn it one once you're ready to shade. :shrug: Honestly I think it's a lot more work to create such perfect line art just to use the paint bucket to fill it in, than it is/would be to just paint a less perfect lineart in myself.
I guess I'll just have to go with erasing rough edges then :shrug: I'm not really experienced with Photoshop, I still have much to learn so I don't want to make anything harder than it already is.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
There is no shortcut I'm afraid, you have to draw colour in all the areas you want flat colour on a layer under your linework. OR you can bucket tool it, like you did, and then use your paintbrush and fix all the edges yourself by colouring right up to the edges of the lines. That also works.
pringlesaddict99 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I guess I'll have to it the normal way then :shrug: Well, thank you for replying, I now at least don't have a hope to be using paint bucket tool :D

I'm fascinated how Microsoft can make a decent Paint Bucket in Paint, but Adobe can't make a decent one in one of the best painting and photomanipulation programs -.-
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
Actually the reason it works in paint is because in paint your lines are hard edged. You could do the same in photoshop using the pencil not the brush tool but your lines wouldn't look soft.
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Yeah, your lines are antialiased so the pixels tone outwards so even if you don't see it with the naked eye they are in fact there. I'd suggest drawing with a more solid brush and fiddling with the treshold or simply do it with the pencil tool.

Another posibility is instead of painting by hand to flat it you can use the lassoo tools and select the area to fill it later. Use ctrl and shift to add or subtract from the selection. With your lineart on its own layer ofcourse.
pringlesaddict99 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, thank you for replying :hug: I'll try that ;)
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
The anti-alias setting needs to be on and so forth. But all in all you'll prolly get the best results by painting the color on a seperate layer below your linework.
Add a Comment: