Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 152

Why do people blame their mouse/trackpad?

:iconsilvercelestt777:
SilverCelestt777 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
As both a mouse and trackpad user, I really am wondering why people blame the quality of their art on what they use to draw it. Lately I have seen quite a few deviants blame the art quality on what they use to draw said art. I'm not saying I am a good artist, because I'm not. But why shove the blame on your mouse/trackpad?

P.S: This is not intended to be an offensive inquiry, and I am not dissing tablet users or mouse/trackpad users.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Tablet vs. mouse is like trying to hold your pencil the normal way vs. trying to hold it the way you would hold a calligraphy brush.
SilverCelestt777 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
Hm.
:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Hm?

Or if you play video games, it could be compared to playing FPS with a controller vs. with KB/Mouse.
I see.
:iconsamuelearl666:
SamuelEarl666 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist
I don't have a tablet at the moment and i am diabolically bad with a mouse. Just to show you here is a comparison between a random digital one and my only pencil drawing.
Mouse: [link] Pencil: [link]
Your art's cool. you arent bad with a mouse.
:iconsamuelearl666:
SamuelEarl666 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist
Thats nice to hear and thanks for the favs but i know i definitely have a long way to go before i get as good as some of the artists here.
Me too. I'm not nearly as good as the average dA artist. Ive got more of a ways to go than you though.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You can do everything you want with a mouse, just as with tablet, it's just a tool...
But when you try to have a natural feeling in your drawing mouse is just nightmarish, everything is slower, less precise, more difficult.
I simply can't imagine returning to a mouse for drawing on a computer.
SilverCelestt777 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Ah.
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Just try a tablet, even a cheap one, you will understand the difference =)
Well I can't just walk into a store and buy one. I'd need to order one and I'm 13 which is too young for a credit card or paypal. :I
Perhaps you can find someone on DA with a tablet near where you leave to make a try :shrug:
I tried one a couple years ago at my friend's house. it was difficult for me
Well there is a little time for adaptation, in particular if there is a difference in size between the screen and the tablet.
But ok, perhaps you have some special kind of movement or pen handling making mouse easier :shrug:
You are probably one of the few ones in this case, and you can rejoice yourself : you will not have to buy a tablet =D
Ah :)
:iconaustin-tyler:
Austin-Tyler Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I believe that the tools don't make the art, the artist makes the art...
Exactly my point.
:icontbterra:
tbterra Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
i find the main limiter when using a mouse or track pad is that it takes so long to draw things.
i usually have the biggest difficulty when doing the initial sketches for the art. with a tablet they can be done in 15 mins but with a mouse they can take up to 2 hours. and if you don't like the pose then that's another 30 mins to change something.

using a mouse doesn't limit what you can do but it does make it harder and more time consuming to do what you want to do.
Well said.
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Probably because drawing with a mouse/trackpad is a lot harder than drawing with a tablet. Drawing with a mouse and a trackpad is pretty much like drawing on glass; no resistance whatsoever. With tablet's it's easier, because it feels like you're drawing on paper. Also, you can make cleaner lines and add more detail, which is why tablets are recommended very often in the digital art community. :XD:

I personally used a mouse for a pretty long time, to the point when where I first got my tablet, I thought drawing with a MOUSE was still easier than drawing with a tablet. If that makes any sense...

Ever since I've gotten my tablet now, I've changed my mind, lol. It's faster and is a lot more fun to use than with a mouse. =P
SilverCelestt777 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
I think my mouse is easiest for me.
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Oh trust me. Once you get a tablet, you'll change your mind, lol.

Or not.

It doesn't matter in the long run.
SilverCelestt777 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Lol okey. :meow:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student General Artist
:iconhappymeowplz: Yup!
:iconpookinator:
Pookinator Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I'm currently stuck drawing with mouse, after having used a Wacom tablet for years. I have to admit, I hate feeling so limited. Can't wait for my new Intous to arrive.

When drawing with a mouse, you're restricted to using your wrist and arm for strokes and movement, neither of which has a fraction of the fine motor control that your fingers have. Mice also do not have pressure sensitive abilities, which is a huge negative.

A pen and tablet combo, however, naturally make use of those wonderfully dextrous fingers and even the cheapest have at least some means of sensing pressure. Pressure sensitivity can allow you to control a single stroke's thickness, darkness, opacity, etc... on the fly.

That's not saying you can't create wonderful art with a mouse - you can. It may even have it's own benefits for some people, just as any particular medium/tool does. But it will generally take far longer to achieve the same results you'd be able to create intuitively with a pen. And unfortunately, there are some things you can't really do with the mouse without going in and working almost pixel by pixel.

It's less about skill/quality, and more about how much time and effort you can afford to get the look you want.
SilverCelestt777 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Exactly.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
The mouse can make a difference. Some mice don't move fluidly and can make it impossible to make it do what you wanna do. Also, mice are on/off. You can't adjust the opacity or harshness with pressure like you can with a pen.

Sometimes, with electronic tools, they can be faulty and not work well. I had a cheap digital camera when I first started photography. That thing could not focus. I thought the problem was me even though I tried my hardest my photos were all out of focus. But then I tried using different cameras (manual, auto the whole bit) and I was able to focus my photos and I haven't had the problem since. And it's not like I'm relying on the camera to focus my photos, because I was able to use manual focus on other cameras and get the focus correct.

Some may use it as an excuse, but it is possible for your electronic equipment to effect your end result.
True.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
because mice and trackpads are terrible for painting.
hmph.
:iconladydeven:
LadyDeven Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Personally after I sketch with the tablet I just use a mouse. It's so much easier for the pen tool.
Ah. I have a friend who does that. I personally like to sketch with a mouse, lineart with a trackpad, and colour it in with my mouse.
:iconladydeven:
LadyDeven Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I know that photoshop makes it pretty darn easy to color with the mouse, just by using the magic wand tool.
ah
:iconchronos-kun:
Chronos-Kun Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I don't blame the track-pad or the mouse. (use to be a predominant mouse user)
The only things that come to mind that could generate blame are the time input and the fact that line work on a track pad and/or mouse is binary and only has one specified line weight; absence of pressure sensitivity. That, and control. When drawing, the lines are just naturally going to be more shaky with the track-pad or mouse. Painting is a different story, and less obvious to the viewer. I can paint relatively the same way as I were to do so with my tablet, it's time input that makes the difference for me. Coming all down to it There is just less control in these two than a tablet. How many times do you CNTRL/CMMD+Z when using these other two tools as opposed to a tablet? That's just how I see where the blame can come in. ...and of course, the potential bragging amongst said-finished piece.
Hm. I do use ctrl+z an awful lot, but I'm used to it as I've never had a tablet, so I don't notice it. :shrug:
:iconsleepingmarlon:
sleepingmarlon Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Mouse or tablet?

A real artist don't blame their art with the materials they use.

A real artist can create artwork in any materials he/she use.

Stop saying excuses.

Thanks haha
Exactly my point.
:iconsleepingmarlon:
sleepingmarlon Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
We just have to be better for ourselves haha.

What important is that you enjoy the things that you are doing.

done.
Yeah :3
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
I use mouse. And I use it because that's the thing I have and can afford right now and make do with it. But tablet would make it efficient. Most maybe blaming it on mouse because it takes a long time to do something with a mouse than it would with a tablet/stylus pen pressure same with a pencil/pen. Of course some will use it as an excuse. A rough sketch that could take 5 minutes would take more time with a mouse. Not undoable, but the time and enough stressing about it is a problem. One can also sketch it with pencil or pen or whatever and scan it and then paint it with a mouse, which again would be hard, but that's one obstacle out of the way. The number of times I went to university and had to wait in line to scan images because someone else was using that computer for other things.... :lol: Now at least, I have a scanner:phew:
I use a mouse for the same reason.
Plus, I'm 13 so I'm not old enough for a Paypal to order one and my mom wont let me use hers.
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
:iconsighingplz: Parents.
Yep. :iconotlplz:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
:pat:
:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I mostly blame it on lack of skill of being able to draw using a mousepad, I heavily rely on line tools for digital art, but I prefer actually drawing it on paper first so it's easier to keep properly sized.
SilverCelestt777 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Ah.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Ive seen plent of good mouse user. Trejim is pretty much a good inspiration if you want to do mouse.

Its because for mouse, its A, very restrictive. It draw like in a pixilated way, so its not simple point a to point b. B, no pressure sensitivity. C, you have to use alot more buttons and things to get the result of what you want.

But just because of these, doesn't mean you aren't like a total robot who can't adjust to a different situation. Ive done plenty of mouse pictures becuase I couldn't find my tablet pen and I have no alternative but to draw with a mouse.
SilverCelestt777 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Yeah.
Add a Comment: