Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Should I get a tablet?!?

:iconlydaday:
lydaday Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've been thinking of getting a tablet for drawing. But there's so many, and too much for me to take in. I'm tired of looking through reviews and not even finding what I need to know about the product. So which, if any, tablet should I get. And can you use photoshop with tablets? I know there's a app, but is it mostly for editing pics or can you use it for drawing and painting as well....I'm lost in a sea of high-techies! I was looking at the ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 32GB...but mostly because it's on sale. My mind is wide open to suggestion!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkalistina:
kalistina Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Pressure sensitivity + media tablet (such as the Transformer or the Galaxy Note 10.1) works, but is suboptimal for digital art. You get a weakened version of Photoshop (because Photoshop on a tablet is Photoshop Touch and lacks a lot of key features), which is good for sketching and rough work, but not so good for production (I work on a Cintiq 24HD, a Galaxy Note 10.1 and an Intuos4 M; the Galaxy Note is the weakest out of the three as far as drawing goes in my opinion).

If you can, aim for an Intuos5 - it's the best technology around at the moment. Cintiq is prohibitively expensive (but combines Intuos4/Intuos5 technologies with a huge screen, a definite pro).
Bamboo is good but far from equivalent to Intuos5, so only take it if you can't afford an Intuos.
:iconkataang102:
Kataang102 Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You should get a tablet
I would recomend Wacom if you're using photoshop beacuse Wacom and photoshop work together

as of what model it depends on what you do.

if you draw for fun, I would say the bamboo create

but if you're more of a prefessional the intouse models might be better
:iconkrazehkittehkat:
KrazehKittehKat Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, my first tablet was a Monoprice, not sure of the size exactly. It worked fairly well, though I will say I much prefer my Bamboo tablet I recently got. But if you're just starting out, I'd recommend something cheaper like the Monoprice brand. It got the job done and really got me used to working with a tablet. :3
:iconjatomlinson:
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Well how about a free Wacom Bamboo drawing tablet? You can enter to win one here: [link] I'm giving away two of them, unopened, brand new. You can enter daily just by tweeting, liking on Facebook etc. The giveaway ends December 15th 2012.
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Seriously, girl, any tablet works fine. But a Wacom is usually the most durable and quality ones. Go to wacom.com and see what kind of tablet suits you! Wacom Bamboo Splash is good for beginners who want to get used to the tablet, or if you want, you can go for a Cintiq; though it's quite expensive, you get to touch around the screen as if it's a tablet (like an iPad, probably? Where you can see the screen). It's really up to you, but for starters, I'd prefer the Splash. Goodluck! :hug:
:iconscribblebees:
ScribbleBees Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I'm thinking about getting the Monoprice 10x6.25 tablet. It's similar to the Wacom Bamboo line, with the same number of pressure levels, but it's got a larger working area and higher resolution for less money. Reviews say that it's pretty decent, so that's what I'm leaning toward.
:iconmeraliia:
Meraliia Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I use the SAI program along with a Genius MousePen 8x6 tablet. I really love it. It only took me one day to learn the basis of SAI and my tablet. The tablet is pretty cheap on Amazon, might I add, since I notice you seem to be on a budget. I hope you find what you're looking for :meow:
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
yeah, you're looking for a graphics tablet. Not a surf tablet or E-reader.

There are those specific ones where you can draw on a screen, ofcourse. But then you're looking at either a car downpayment in price or cheaper for what is essentially a LCD display with a graphics tablet under. For which you can just buy a quality regular one and look at the screen you already have on your computer.
:iconmissleepify:
Missleepify Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
But isn't what you looking at more some kind of ipad-ripoff with a pen? You don't need a screen and keyboard if you're planning on using it with a computer you already have. My experience tells me that most apps you can draw in is rather crappy, and if the drawing feature is the only thing you're after 300$ sounds pretty expensive when you could get a normal tablet for less than 100$.

I didn't look too close, but I'm not sure if you can use that one for anything other than the pad-thingy it comes with, which I'm pretty sure won't be capable of running photoshop. If I were you I would look at some of wacoms products instead, most of them are cheap and good for beginners.
:iconlydaday:
lydaday Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't think I could use that kind of tablet. Not the pat my head rub my stomach type.
Add a Comment: