Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

Photoshop & Paint Tool Sai - Which programme do you use when you want to [insert task here]?

:iconthezeronumber:
thezeronumber Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Just a random question/thought of mine but I am very interested in knowing the "answer", if there is one.

I've been hearing some good things about the two of these programmes working together. Paint Tool Sai seems to be the "go to" programme for line-art and any effects or filters required can be handled with Photoshop thanks to the ability to save files in the .PSD format.

That sounds great in theory but what is it about these two that make them work so well together? What programme would you be rushing to if you needed to do a specific task? Let's imagine you have neither programme open but you know exactly what you want to do next on your half-finished art piece. If you wanted to, for example add some sun glare, what programme would you go to? If you wanted to select a region and fill the entire area with a block colour, which one would you pick? What about copy-and-pasting a specific bit? Altering the colours after they have been placed? Rotating the canvas so you can draw better lines? Etc.

I'm just wondering how someone would come to the thought process of "I need to save this file and reload it in the other programme so I can complete the task there". Would you be going constantly back and forth between the two or would you start in one programme (PT Sai) and finish in another (PS)? Even then, at what point would you make this decision and change over?

I know it's a really strange subject but it's something I have been curious about for the past week. I won't be able to test this out myself for a few weeks yet so I thought the next best thing would be asking others which use both.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhelloabakkus:
helloabakkus Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
SAI is my go-to. I prefer its brushes vastly over anything Photoshop has ever offered, they simply feel more natural to me, and less like rubbing a stamp around. I do all of my work from sketching through to colouring in SAI, hopping to Photoshop only for postwork if I feel there's a need. SAI also runs much smoother and lighter than PS for me, which my laptop greatly appreciates.
thezeronumber Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
That last sentence sums up my reasons for thinking about picking up PT Sai. The time spent learning and adapting could be time spent creating new pieces in Photoshop but if the device you're working on cannot handle PS as well as you would like, well, it's a no-brainer really! Plus as you say, it has a different feel to it and change isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What laptop do you work on may I ask?
:iconhelloabakkus:
helloabakkus Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I use a two year old Samsung running win7.
:iconiocasius:
IoCasius Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Well, I use both and I do exactly what you say.
Drawing, sketching in PS is simply a pain because it gets laggy (due to my 4 years old laptop) so I use PaintTool Sai. Photoshop is what I use for applying text, or the many layer styles and preferences it can offer. But that's only after I have my lineart clean and coloured!
thezeronumber Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
So you sketch, complete line-art and colour in PT Sai while swapping to Photoshop for finishing touches?
IoCasius Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Yes, exactly!
I highly recommend this work-flow for people with old computers, like 4 years or older!
Why specifically for older computers, is the sketching and line-art that bad in Photoshop on slower devices?

I have a Toshiba Tecra M7 on the way, a convertible laptop-come-tablet from 2006 but it has been upgraded a fair amount to compensate. Been told Paint Tool Sai should run beautifully although Photoshop seems to be a case of finding out the hard way. As long as it doesn't lag my lines to the extent of having curves appear jagged I will be happy.
IoCasius Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I have seen that , in my computer, there is delay between the actual stroke of my pen on the tablet and its appearance on the PS workspace. It all depends on the resolution of the document you are working on, though, always talking about PS.
All tablets have that (there is a term for it but I cannot recall the name). I don't mind the lagging behind as long as it follows where I was pressing on the surface. The problem comes when it lags behind and doesn't follow the arc, instead going for a "shortcut" and not following the path of the pen.

I guess an example would be drawing a circle. With a delay that still follows the path it would come out like a "O" but if it delays and doesn't follow the path then it could look more like a "D". It might vary depending on what programme you use, I don't know. One of those things I have to try out.
:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
You can easily do everything you need in photoshop. You dont need to switch different programs for painting. Photoshop you can do anything as long as you know the correct tools to do it. I do everything in photoshop start to finish and i dont feel the need at all to jump into a different program to finish something i was doing in ps. When i paint its 100% photoshop, dont need another program to aid it. Just learn more about photoshop and you wont have this issue.
Add a Comment: