Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

What's a good way to create lineart, going from pencil drawing to coloring in PS?

:iconsquarenity:
squarenity Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
I want to create small pictures that looks something like these: [link].

I've got a pencildrawing

The question is: if I want to colour in the lineart digitally, what's a smart way to proceed? So far, I'm thinking of drawing in the lines with pens and then scanning it. But should I create vectors out of it, or just work with it in PS?

Any thoughts?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmrfeline:
MrFeline Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Student Digital Artist
If you have it Illustrator makes this really easy if a little time consuming. They way I like to do it is to cover the whole figure whatever in black with the pen tool making a silhouette, and then I use white to create the negative shapes inside. This method gives you tremendous control over your line width shape etc. The pieces you linked to look like they were done in Illustrator then sent over to photoshop for coloring, texturing, and cleaning up.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Lol you wanna know the super easy way?

Open it up, adjust the brightness and contrast as needed. Make it into a brush. Make a new file, stamp the lineart down.

Or use your 'color select' tool to select your lines, copy them, then paste onto a new layer.

Honestly, the best thing, and the way it will look best, is to do your rough on paper then scan it in and draw your finished work on a new layer.
Thanks for the wake up :) I agree, and I think that would be the way to go - if I wanted to stick to one size. I started to think about vectors because maybe I'd print the pictures in large formats later on. So I tried to figure out a way to be versatile while retaining some of the natural, hand-drawn expression in the drawings. Asking the question here has made me realize that I really need to decide what my goal is, in terms of finished products.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer, and for keeping it simple.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012   Digital Artist
I just colour under the pencil sketch. Digital lineart is pretty, but I hate drawing it and I like the roughness of the pencil lines. :)
:iconscribblebees:
ScribbleBees Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Lately, I've been going over sketches in pen, erasing the pencil beneath, scanning them, and adjusting the contrast for clean lines. Even if I had my tablet with me (which I currently don't), I'd probably still do it that way because then I can do my lines in the go, and I ink darkly enough and sketch cleanly enough that I don't usually have to do any major cleanup after scanning. Whatever suits you, though.
Yeah, I was kinda hoping not to have to do a lot of clean-up work... but in the end, it all comes down to what kind of expression I want in the picture, and that dictates what tools to use and how to apply them. But I think you make a good point any way: all the parts of the process are linked together, and doing the first steps well pays off later on. Some would call that a self-evident fact, but you don't really appreciate it until you've spent countless hours doing clean-up and do-overs.
:iconscribblebees:
ScribbleBees Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Yeah, it's definitely something important to consider... though honestly, I'm just not one of those people who can pull gorgeous lines from a crazy-hectic sketch. If it's too messy, I get confused...
Hehe, I can relate to that. My photography teacher said that "if you take your time setting up the lights, camera and objects/persons properly, you don't have to spend hours in Photoshop later on cleaning up your mess." And I think the same applies to the process of sketching as well. Or maybe it gets better/easier when I reach a certain level of craftmansship, I dunno....
:iconcandycadets:
CandyCadets Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If you have Paint Tool SAI then I would really recommend using it.
I've only just started but the ability to create 'linework layers' s really handy. Plus you can paint under it and create layers just like photoshop! (:
Or you could alays use the pen tool in PS - similar effect.
I'm not familiar with Paint Tool, but I'll google it and check it out. Thx :) I'm a sucker for Photoshop though...
Add a Comment: