Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Should I Buy an Intuos5?

:icontrayuy:
trayuy Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Digital Artist
So I've had my Intuos3 (4x6) for about five years. I was thinking of switching to an Intuos 5 (6x9), but I'm still debating if it's worth it. I would especially like some advice from people who've had experience with both.

-Do you really notice the difference between the 1028 and 2056 pressure sensitivity?
-Is the medium size better than the smaller one? I don't usually draw on large areas and I usually work with a 15" laptop. (I have a 24" Monitor which I occasionally use though)

Thanks! :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Go for it!
:iconmourantlune:
MourantLune Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
There's an upstart company called Monoprice that maxes a 12X9 Tablet for the cost of a Wacom Bamboo, $80.

[link]

I've heard excellent things about their products, I just wish I could try one, the cheapest is around $20, maybe I'll get one next pay period.
Makes*
:iconalantherobot:
AlanTheRobot Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
I used to work on a tablet pc with only 512 levels of pressure sensitivity and when I switched to the Intuos there was some difference. I especially liked I could customize the pressure beyond just soft hard, so yeah there is a bit of difference but I don't think you'll notice it much. The nicest thing is the buttons and the screen popup when you forget a shortcut.

As for the size, I was a bit worried Medium would be too small but I couldn't buy anything bigger because the medium could be set on top of my laptop keyboard perfectly. When I first started to use it I realized it was huge, even if the usable area seemed small, it seemed really big for a while. Occasionally it feels to small but then I turn on the precision drawing and it's great. I can make huge strokes for a smaller area of the screen.

I'm not quite sure how big the small one is, but if you don't mind the size of your current tablet and it's close to an Intuos 5 small and you want to save some money than I'd get the small.
:iconihidehere:
IHideHere Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Please consider the Monoprice tablet, as well. Wacom thinks it has no competition in the supply and demand of tablets and tends to exploit that demand with outrageous prices.

Here is a review from a professional artist [link]
And here is the Monoprice store page [link]

Hopefully this alternative helps with your decision.
Damn, you beat me to it!
:iconpauscorpi:
pauscorpi Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
I got mine a couple of months ago because my Intuos4 died. I like it better than the 4 - i find it more flexible. I also work on a 15 inch laptop but my first tablet was Graphire 3 and I definitely feel the difference in terms of size and pressure. The 5 allows me much finer details.

I have never worked on the I3, though, so I can't comment on that. However, I do highly recommend the I5 if you are doing artwork taht is rather painterly or requires lots of fine detail. Of course, if you are comfortable with the I3, that's perfect too.
:icontrayuy:
trayuy Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Thanks! :) One other question though, how is the surface of the I5? Does it eat up nibs pretty fast? ><
:iconpauscorpi:
pauscorpi Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
well, the I4 was my first tablet with replaceable nibs but it eats them up to a certain point rather fast (again, I like firm pressure so that helps eath them up, too) . However, I haven't noticed this affecting me much to be honest.
:iconendave:
endave Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Initially yes..it wears down at an alarming rate (don't panic). I am still on my first nib and have noticed that the surface isn't as textured as it was when I first got my my tablet. Either because the surface got much smoother over time or because I am applying less pressure.

You can definitely tell the difference between 1028 and 2056 pressure sensitivity. I feel like I am completely in control of everything I do.

I have an intous5 medium and personally like the larger drawing surface...however if you are used to a smaller sized area and want to save some money then by all means go that route. My recommendation is to go with the medium, you won't regret it.
Add a Comment: