Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 17, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Can we discuss painting programs for Macs so I can know if I'm going in the right direction?

:iconhontokokoro:
Because while I love Photoshop for most of what it offers, I won't lie, it is VERY poor for making nice, clean lineart. The pen tool isn't great either. I actually have Sketch Book Copic Edition, is that any good? If not, does anyone know of good Paint Tool SAI equivalents? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontetchist:
Tetchist Nov 18, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
basically every painting application for windows is also made for the mac. just pick whatever suits you best.
:iconachipps:
achipps Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you look close enough to what is happening you will notice the video updates to the brush activity is slow, because the video ram can't keep up.

To fix that, work with a smaller canvas try different sizes until you find one with the brush slowing smoothly.

If you feel you need to draw with massive canvases then get a computer that can handle it or a program that uses vector points to smooth out the video ram lag.
:icongeekysideburns:
geekysideburns Nov 17, 2012   Digital Artist
Photoshop is fine if you're working in a high rez.

But you can use programs like Manga Studio, Firealpaca (which is free), Artrage, Sketchbook Pro or Clip Studio Paint.
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Nov 17, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hi,

I think that Photoshop is actually good for making nice clean line art.
The underlying problems are usually:
1) lack of a tablet,
2)lack of experience,
3)methods/technique/settings.

Some programs like GIMP and SAI have smoothers or stabilizers that can help compensate for the deficiencies listed above, but they are not a complete solution. If you decide to address all of the issues then your end result will be better.

some line art threads with tips and suggestions:
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
:iconhontokokoro:
Yeah...about SAI...I have a Mac, so I'm sure you know where I'd be running into problems ^^; However, I'm planning on getting a Bamboo Splash Tablet, which will apparently have ArtRage 3.5 bundled with it. And from what I'm seeing, ArtRage is supposed to be really good, so I'm a bit more hopeful!
:iconvineris:
Vineris Nov 17, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Photoshop works fine for me.
:iconnokari:
nokari Nov 17, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Normally people don't make line work directly on the computer, like you would an anime/manga style, most draw on paper then scan. And if they do do it on the computer, it's because they're very well practiced at it. You can always change your line work if it's not the way you want it too.
Most create line work on the computer just as a rough sketch to guide them when painting, and either there are no lines in the finished piece or the lines get added carefully right before finalizing the piece.

If you're looking for recommended software for Macs, then search the topics in the Software forum. There have been many topics about it already.
Some choices are Photoshop, Corel Painter, Autodesk Sketchbook, MyPaint, Art Rage, and others.
Add a Comment: