November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

Having problems with lineart

:iconkattkins:
Kattkins Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student General Artist
Hello all,

I'm a digital artist, using a wacom bamboo and Photoshop Elements 8, and I've noticed that my lineart is really rather thick and clumsy. I've tried to use smaller brushes for making the lineart neater, but it isn't working. Does anyone else have this problem?

Please, if you have any tips or just want to exchange advice, please comment!

Thank you~!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconurfallenangel90:
UrFallenAngel90 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've got PSE9, but I prefer using Gimp, especially for lineart/inking, because I had the same issues as you're having with PSE.
I ended up using Gimp for lineart/inking. The ink tool in Gimp really solved my problems, because it's easy to get thinner, thicker and smoother lines with just that one tool, and it looks better than any changes I've made to brushes in PSE.
Kattkins Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
I have problems using Gimp. I can't get my tablet to work on making lines thicker or thinner than the set sizes in the program, so I rarely use it nowadays (still have the software though). The only thing I really like about Gimp is the paths tool. That's just my personal view on it. Hopefully I'll try and get painttool SAI soon, so that mights sort some of my problems out.
Thank you for the tips though!
:iconclchriskl:
Clchriskl Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Wow I could learn from this thread. Thanks for making it! :)
No problem! I just thought it would be a good idea to ask about it, rather than let it stay a problem. ^^
:iconlemon1986:
lemon1986 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
okay now don't expect every person to checkout your gallery and think of a solution for you! we would really appreciate it if you make easy for the rest of us, for now I'll assume you're talking about this! [link]

first of all, I'm no expert! but I'll help as much as I can, lineart is all about the RIGHT brush setting and a steady hands! there are million ways to achive a clean lineart like brush stabilizers or vectoring programs, so suit yourself and go with the one you're comfortable with! I do my lineart "manually" by drawing them quickly so the lines don't look wobbly. of course that requires a lot of practice, and I'm still working on it!

I would drop that photoshop elements in favor of painttool SAI and sketchbook pro! they have options like "steady stroke" or "stabilizer" that helps you to make clean lineart!
Ah sorry, I didn't realise that was what people would think I was asking. I was just looking for standardised tips...but yes, that is one of the pictures I wish I could have drawn better.
Ok, I usually start off with several sketch layers, but they are also rather thick. I don't particularly have a steady hand, so I'll try out stabilisers. One of my friends has offered to give me painttool SAI, but I don't have it yet, and my only other software is Gimp, which I now loathe to draw in.
Thank you very much for your time and advice, I really appreciate it.
:iconl1v1d:
L1V1D Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
my line art is pretty clumsy too. I've learned to just work around it.... for instance, I can usually hide it when I color. You might find it doesn't look so thick, though, if you used colors other than black.
hmm, interesting idea! I might have to try that out. ^^
Thank you very much for the advice!
:iconl1v1d:
L1V1D Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
no problem!
:iconzoltruke:
Zoltruke Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Hello,

With the lines, I usually use the hard brush, 4px. Sometimes it might not came out neat; at times like that, the Eraser tool may be used to rub out some of the thicker parts and the edge where two or more lines meets.

It might also be about the way the line is drawn. A single line can come out neater if you whip it faster with your wrist. Sometimes slowly drawing a line can make the line a bit shaky.
Add a Comment: