Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Any last minute pointers before I post my new painting?

:iconclaytonsnow:
ClaytonSnow Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I just finished a fabulous new painting,
it is leaps and bounds better than anything I have ever done,
and before I post it I wanted to make sure there isn't any flaws that my bias eyes have missed.

[link]

Be gentle please, and don't just say "Draw a new face". Teehee.

Cheers!!!
Thanks in advance!!!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconendave:
endave Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
forgive my incoherent sentences...I haven't had coffee yet :(
Great work over all! I like the emotions you captured and the whole egg shell cracking deal is really cool!

One thing that could use some improvement is the hair. It is obvious you spent a lot of time on this with all the visible strands of hair. However, it take away from the picture....sort of makes everything else incomplete. Try to focus more on the flow of the hair and only work in a few strands here and there. Less is more with hair and remember when you look at hair you see clumps no individual strands.

Here is a quick 2 minute paint over I did to sort of demonstrate what I mean [link]. I have received this same advice in the past so I am still learning :)

The paint over requires a bit more color contrast and definition, however as is you can already see that is sort of goes with the rest of the picture. I hope I was somewhat helpful.
Super Helpful!!! Thanks a lot!
Its going to be hard because I flattened the image.
However I agree with everything you said and thanks for doing that paint over!!
You are more than welcome! Keep it up :) And of course everything FriendlyHand said is correct. Good luck!
[link] Does that look better? :)
That looks much better :) It still looks like hair, but I don't see every single strand. You will get better at it with more time and practice. I am still learning how to paint her as we speak. It is difficult to make it look realistic and yet not over detailed.
YES! Its also difficult not to go overboard on the effects and detail. In this piece in particular, i have her crazy eyes, her cracks and detailed hair, i am trying to hold myself back from making it too detailed to avoid it looking cheap and too busy. Its fustrating! Hahaha
lol such a curse ;) I think everyone goes through the same issues. Most people tend to add a lot of details and contrast to areas they want viewed to look at. I learned a lot by watching a lot of episodes from Feng Zhu's school of design on youtube. You will enjoy it because he talks a lot about what and why he did things while walking you through the painting from start to finish.

[link]
Try to add more color variation to the hair. Granted you picked a really tough hair color to paint ;)

This tutorial might be help to you [link]
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hi,
My tips are:
1) Always keep a copy of the file in layers even if you save a flattened copy too.
2) With that pose and angle, I think you might want to show a bit of the arm that is further away from us, unless it is a one armed character. Any time you completely hide a limb it can be a distraction.
3) You may get more feedback in the Deviation thumbshares section of the forum.
4) If you upload your work in progress to DA instead of an outside site, you can remove it later, more people will be willing to look at it and you can add a thumbnail in your thread.
Add a Comment: