Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

I have photoshop 7, is there a color wheel similar to that of Sai or better?

:iconspork-:
Spork- Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I like the color layout on sai and was hoping to get something similar on photoshop. I know there are ones for CS3 and up, but I am having problem finding a plugin for 7. I normally just end up making gradient bars because I get tired of having to toggle the sliders all the time.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Using the color tab and the bar full of gradual colors and black and white on the end is small but it is equivalent to the color wheel.

I would never use it because I will never want to just pick any random colors.
When I do art I get a color by mixing until I see the color I want for a base then I add that to a new block and add red for blush or black and red for glow shadows or what ever I need.
I get them from the basic color pallet.

As an artist I work best with color pallets than picking a random color, because if it is not the shade I want then I have to work to get the right color.
When I worked with oils I only bought white, black, red, yellow, and blue to make every color I need.
but, because you have a pallet to work with and prefer to click in random colors, I would say toy need to work on color theory.
What color is a shadow area on red, what would the bright lit area of red look like, and how this effect any color.

I am guessing you also need to study lighting, because without looking at your art it could be flat.

So now I will look and see.

Are you kidding me? Deviant for 11 years, and zero art, and zero comments.

You might have started when this website first did, but you did nothing. Normally that is enough time to become a great artist.
Spork- Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think you clicked on the wrong person? I have been here for 8 and >.> I also don't pick a random color, I do blend it to what I prefer, I just like to be able to choose an average saturation level for what I have in mind. I do agree I need to work on color theory, that is why I am practicing. As I said in the description I tend to make a pallet based on color blending, but in photoshop it tends to go towards grey when you choose certain color ranges. Again I also agree with you on lighting, I need to fix light sourcing issues and also increase contrast levels.
Oh yeah I see. I typed in the account without the -

Spork.deviantart.com

while yours is Spork-.deviantart.com

I only typed it in, because I started a new tab, so I didn't loose what I typed.

I bought Photoshop 7 when it was the newest version, and after looking at all the demos I might only like Photoshop CS5 and up, but it is not enough to pay for what I get in addition. All I need to draw anything I want is the basic brushes and colors. Photoshop 7 and a lot of programs have that, but when I started not many programs had a soft edge brush to blend colors together.
I need that for my color mixing and shading.

I think you already know the basics of lighting if you know contrast.

Light can glow off the air. A scientific understanding of light is the creation of charged electrons in a chain reaction that fades by the amount of power used. That helps understand glow.
Then there is reflection, not with just mirrors, but with bright colors. A bright yellow will reflect yellow in what I like to think of as the buttercup theory. Shadows are always effected by some reflective color.
To use all that information, you just have to practice one at a time until you know lighting and shadows.
Then you can learn to use different colors of lighting. Until you do that try to remember everything gets the same (color of) light source.
:iconbluewyrm:
Bluewyrm Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
You can open new tabs from a link with the middle mouse button or by ctrl+click, or right clicking and selecting "open in new tab." (Figured you might want to know :) It's a lot more convenient.)
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I knew about the open link in new window, but not the scroll click on the link.
I just know everyone's link is their name.deviantart.com and sometimes I only think of that.

It is like working in Photoshop with many ways to do something and you don't always pick the same way. Well, maybe you do, but I don't.
Yep, that is what I am working on now.
I had a teacher that had us mix water colors to make a color chart. The basic colors are red, blue, yellow. They made the secondary colors, purple, green, and orange, and all together they make brown.
Then we had to use the first three colors to mix the other colors, red-purple, blue-purple, blue-green, yellow-green, yellow-orange, and red-orange. The colors spiraled outward making the color chart.
If you know how to mix colors, you don't see them as hunter green or peach and what-ever you see them as what it takes to make them or what needs to be added to get the exact color. I see this DA color as a pale green with a tint of gray, But dark color take effect to quick with paint and to add that much black in oils I would need to wet the brush with black and do a poor job of cleaning the brush to make a pale green have the same amount of gray.

Digital is different I can start with a color using the same shade, and set the brush mode to color so I can just change the colors until I get the same color.

I hope some of this helps.
I remember doing that color wheel before too. What do you mean you can set the brush mode to color?
When you are using the brush the top bar in Photoshop has settings like;

the type of brush,the soft brush,Oval 45% brush, and transparent red.

the brush tip settings

The Mode Similar to layers, but it only effects the brush.

Opacity

and Flow

The brush mode can be very useful When using;

Dissolve to draw speck that can be smudged into short hair or grass or making snow or rain.

Multiply, and other setting can used for added lighting

But color can change the color of a black and white with out making the gray scale image change very much.
The color mode can not paint anything new unless there is nothing there Then it can appear to act like a normal brush used to fill. On a image that don't have invisible areas it can colorize with the brush and flow, using the colors as basic colors. A dark red, or a normal red will always add red, while black or white removes the color.
It is something you could try and add to the tools to can use for color repair.

I use it on Black and white colorization, because I can brush in colors to make the skin look more realistic with variations of red for blush and colors used on a real face, because the face is not just one color.

I use it when I draw, to change everything, if I don't like the overall color. That way I don't have to redraw anything, to just change the colors.
Spork- Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have actually never used the brush mode settings, kind of forgot it was there ^^; Thank you for the break down on that though, I will have to try that out. So for color mode you should paint in grey scale first then go over in color mode, or can you use it to blend colors on top of other colors?
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: