Closed to new replies
November 14, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 271

My digital drawing sucks.....

:iconxxflamefrost101xx:
XxFlameFrost101xX Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
And I really want to improve it. How do you guys do it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbadluckart:
BadLuckArt Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Wow lot's of advice and an old thread lol, haven't read them all so I might be repeating XD I have some advice based on art school techniques.

But it takes a lot of hard work to learn to draw. If you are just starting out, the medium doesn't matter because it is the technique and the feel of drawing that matters at first. Important thing to know that there is no ultimate end to drawing, even my friend's in the animation industry are still improving everyday. The time it takes will be different for everyone, however. For me, it is slow, but hard work pays off.

A good way to approach this chronologically would be learning the human form (based on your gallery, you seem to have an interest in drawing characters)
I would suggest life drawing (drawing of the human figure, there are drop-in sessions or anatomy books may help) but if you are new to it, start with quick gesture drawings, which is fast but abstract lines that represent the pose of the model.

After you are comfortable and wish to move on, there are longer poses with allow you to add structure on top of the gesture to give it form, these are basic shapes that give it a more clear form to the drawing. Anatomy can come after you are familiar with both techniques first otherwise the placement of any muscles or bones could be skewed. Designing characters is basically playing around with this kind of form.

It is easier to explain than done lol That is drawing characters in a nutshell and what is generally taught in art programs that involve illustration and/or animation. You can probably find plenty of tutorials online but a good way approach is gestures, structure, anatomy, then character design alongside each. Hope this points you to a good direction!
:iconnimportant:
NImportant Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Tutorials: [link]
Just look how others do it! :) You can make it, just practice! :la:
:icondoodlemancy:
doodlemancy Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
I see that this thread is from November so I hope I'm not too late on this :lol: I see a lot of people are just saying "practice" and yeah, that's like 90% of it at least, but just practicing with no guidance isn't much help.

I could not draw digitally for the longest time! That disconnect between the tablet and the drawing on the screen just threw me for a loop, and it still does sometimes. What really helped me finally get it was watching my friends' livestreams while they drew. Not just livestreams, but any video (that isn't ridiculously sped up) of someone drawing digitally will do. That's how I picked up new techniques and learned to use tools in ways I hadn't thought of before.

Also make sure that you're using the tablet properly in a way that won't hurt your wrist: [link] I'm trying to change my habits now because I already have RSI and trust me, it's worth avoiding. =P
XxFlameFrost101xX Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
*i meant NOT too late.
I may not be good at digital art, but I'm an ace on typos...
XxFlameFrost101xX Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh, no! It's. It too late XD

Thanks for the advice,and I know what you mean about the sped-up thing. I watched some speed paints, but they move so fast sometimes, I can't see what's happening DX
:icongingerpony:
Gingerpony Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I just mess about with everything and I don't compare myself to anyones work and gradually I improve. Don't compare and experiment and find your own styl. :)
:iconcling17:
cling17 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Here's what I do, personally.

- Closely study shapes, forms, and lighting of real life objects, people, and environments (taking up photography is helpful).

- Look up general art tutorials (e.g. forms, perspectives, colouring, lighting, anatomy, etc.)

- Closely study other artist's work and personal style, preferably stick with artists not too too far ahead of your skill level, so it's easier to wrap your mind around the work and catch up with them. Also find a variety of artists so your work is more well-rounded and doesn't stagnate.

- Get to know your digital tools through experimentation, practice, and digital art tutorials.

- Practice a lot.

I'm personally missing the "a lot" part of the last step due to laziness and time constraints. It can take a lot of effort to muster up the nerve to do it but I do believe that practice is key, like others have stated.

Best of luck!
:icongycinn:
Gycinn Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013   Digital Artist
This is the ultimate guide.
Nothing else to say more !

Try, study and work a lot...
You getting better in month not in days.
I'm on the same problem, never get the pose right, errors in the proportions.
But i guess in about an half year it would be learned, hope so :)
:iconjumyll-gemory:
Jumyll-Gemory Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist
I watch A LOT of speedpaint videos on youtube.
It really helps, cause it is not only a tutorial, but you also can
see how the artist works, and that can be really helpful!
at least, for me. :dummy:
XxFlameFrost101xX Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Ok, cool! I'll look some more out :D
Add a Comment: