Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

Can some explain a thing or two about Digitizers for me please.

:icons-corps:
S-Corps Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hey all, I just have a brief question or two on something that i've been trying to wrap my head around but i'm still ending up abit confused (it's actually making me feel pretty daft, and at the moment i've got a massive headache so it makes further researching kinda tough, but this had been bugging me)

Digitizers,

Ok, so I know the basics for digital art when you're using a tablet you want accuracy and a good level of pressure sensitivity, up until now i've been using a Genius F-10 Tablet but with the new market of Windows 8 Tablets that are coming out, i'm finally going to try and take my art to the next level by getting a tablet that I can draw directly on.

So here's what's got my brain throbbing:

If a new Tablet PC has an IPS touch display (like the Sony tablet i'm considering getting...well, tablet/laptop hybrid, here's the link [link] )

then does that mean I need to buy a digitizer that has pressure sensitivty built into it? That's what i'm confused about. The Tablet I posted the link of doesn't state that it has any pressure sensitivity so that leads me to believe that a Digitizer would manage and handle measuring the pressure sensitivity. So....would I be alright if I ended up buying that Tablet/Laptop and a Wacom Digitizer? Would I still have the option of pressure sensitivity when working on art in Photoshop?

Thanks again for any help or answers that anyone can offer, i'm ready to make that purchase (after the Christmas season of course) but I want to make sure that i'm going to be putting my money in something that i'll be able to use for my Art and not have any shortcomings.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

S-Corps Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks for the info everyone. I was under a criss-crossed misconception that the Digitizer was something that was part of the stylus that would read pressure sensitivity and apply it to the work being done on the tablet. Now I know that the Digitizer is something that's integrated into the tablet itself.

@blacroze: For the Galaxynote 10.1, since it's an Android based OS, do they have an alternative to Photoshop like with Sketchbook? And if I did some work on the tablet and later on wanted to transfer it to my Windows based PC to do some finer tuning with a Wacom tablet (and a much stronger computer), would that be possible?

@lemon1986 and blacroze: For the LE1600/1700, is the touch screen capable of recognizing when i've got my hand resting on it or would I have to make sure that only the stylus touches the screen when i'm drawing/sketching, and will it have enough power to use Photoshop for more extensive and in-depth colouring and multiple layers and effects? Or is just best for getting basic sketches and basic colour layouts done?

@Pakaku: Thanks for the info as well...didn't want you to feel left out and be the only one I didn't respond to :P
S-Corps Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks for the info everyone. I was under a criss-crossed misconception that the Digitizer was something that was part of the stylus that would read pressure sensitivity and apply it to the work being done on the tablet. Now I know that the Digitizer is something that's integrated into the tablet itself.

@blacroze: For the Galaxynote 10.1, since it's an Android based OS, do they have an alternative to Photoshop like with Sketchbook? And if I did some work on the tablet and later on wanted to transfer it to my Windows based PC to do some finer tuning with a Wacom tablet (and a much stronger computer), would that be possible?

@lemon1986 and blacroze: For the LE1600/1700, is the touch screen capable of recognizing when i've got my hand resting on it or would I have to make sure that only the stylus touches the screen when i'm drawing/sketching, and will it have enough power to use Photoshop for more extensive and in-depth colouring and multiple layers and effects? Or is just best for getting basic sketches and basic colour layouts done?

@Pakaku: Thanks for the info as well...didn't want you to feel left out and be the only one I didn't respond to :P
:iconlemon1986:
lemon1986 Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
if the tablet PC's has a built in wacom digitizers (EMR technology) then you don't have to buy a seperate tabets! unless you're dying for more pressure levels than 256 which I don't see it as a legitimate reason for a hobbiest! yes there are differences but isn't something to die for, at least from my very own prespective!

another vote for the motion computing LE1600/LE1700, got mine for $144 shipped from ebay and sensitivity works like charm! make sure it has a core2duo proc though if you want to use photoshop! I know you want something new but for $150 you just cant go wrong! it open up the chance to experience the direct sketch without losing much money!
:iconfrosen24:
fROSEn24 Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Same what pakaku said. the wacom digitizer is inside the tablet which allows the pen or (stlyus) to move smoothly and not lag. Lag is ugly for example i currently bought a samsung galzxynote 10.1 which has wacom digitizers in them and got the cheap app sketchbook now im a sketch maniac. Not all tablets have them the older windows tablet pc's like from 2001, are very good and have them too here is one i got ages ago........and its dirt cheap [link] its called the le1600 motion tablet go look at it on amazon [link]

and here is someone drawing on the samsung galaxynote 10.1 [link]
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
If the tablet itself doesn't support pressure-sensitivity, then pen-producers need to jump through hoops to get it to work. Some pressure-sensitive pens are being produced for the iPad, but not all apps support it natively. Same thing would happen to any typical tablet
Add a Comment: