Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

I want to make art like this

:iconvalce:
Valce Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Hi, I'm currently working on a videogame project.
Basically, I need to know how do I make art like this:
[link]
[link]

specifically:
- tools required (I assume Photoshop and a graphic tablet, which I have. What else?)
- steps to take

I'm mostly interested in the characters and backgrounds. The monsters are overly big and complex compared to what I need. What interests me the most is how to COLOR like that.

A tutorial would be especially nice.

I have an artist who can draw and color very well with non-digital mediums. She's very motivated and eager to learn, she just needs to know how to use the required tools and practice.
The game is going to take quite a bit of time to develop and it doesn't require too many graphics, so she has time to learn and work on the graphic style; I assume it's doable.

Thanks for your time everyone. Have a nice day!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthelxion:
Thelxion Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Welcome to pixel art, one of the hardest artistic mediums there are out there, in my opinion. Also one of the most under-appreciated.

It's all about patience and lots of practice, if you want something at least decent.

Pretty complex medium too, lots of techniques to learn, quite the bumpy road too.

Here's some useful resources to get you started. All you need is any simple program like MS Paint, opaque pencil tool, magnifier, and that's pretty much it.
[link]

I prefer to use mouse pads myself when pixelling, instead of a tablet, for precise pixel placement reasons, and Graphics Gale for the interface and right mouse click color picker. Point is, go and experiment, make your own rules.

And good luck.
:iconvalce:
Valce Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys! My main concern was that, while characters are small (they fit in a 50x50 box), it looks different to more traditional examples of pixel art characters. Specifically, the work looks sfumato, like an oil painting, with smooth transitions. I was wondering if that was most likely done pixel-by-pixel or using photoshop brushes with increasing levels of opacity
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Most likely done pixel-by-pixel. Do realize that there are professionals behind the sprites and making stuff similar to their stuff will take a bit of practice. Do use the reply button, too.
:iconkittysophie:
kittysophie Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student Digital Artist
use paint toll sai and use the binary tool :) i use that for my pixel art
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You can use MS Paint and search up pixel or sprite tutorials.
:iconattentionspam:
attentionspam Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A good tool for creating videogame assets is called Texturepacker, which allows you to create spritesheets.
I recommend animating in flash pro, and then creating spritesheets with texturepacker.

Google is your friend, as is Youtube.

Art assets can be created in a myriad of ways. Sprites are simple. Could even use photoshop, just be sure to use the proper aspect ratio/width/height, and save as the proper format required.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Yeah, it's pixel art. You can place the pixels individually if that's your thing. It doesn't exactly require amazing digital skills or powerful tools. You do, however, need to have an understanding of light, shadow and colour theory to know what colour pixel you need in that exact spot.

Here's a page of tutorials to get your artist started:
[link]
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Its pixel art. Even MS Paint will do.

No, seriously, any paint program will do. When comes to sprites, its more of the practice and perserverance, not the tools.
:iconmeronfeisu:
meronfeisu Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student Digital Artist
go into photoshop,

preferences -> interface -> advanced -> show all

theres a little checkbox that says "suddenly be good at art", check that and voila! you are now good at art.
:iconofficialpoypoy:
Officialpoypoy Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
LOL!!! HAHAA BEST COMMENT EVER
Add a Comment: