Closed to new replies
November 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Looking for some how to step by step full paintings to do

:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional General Artist
I'm looking for tutorials, but not speed painting, time lapse videos or anything like that. I'm looking for a step by step guide to painting a full picture like you would find in a how to draw book. A written tutorial would be awesome. Have you used any that were helpful? Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconendave:
endave Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
There isn't an all in one video that or tutorial that shows all these things you are seeking. What brushes to use is subjective. 5 different artists could use 5 different brushes and achieve the same effect. You really just need to practice and see what works for you. As far as some of the other more technical details of applying colors over grayscale images or effects in general, you could watch Feng Zhu's channel on youtube [link]. He talks through the entire process and helps build a basic art foundation that most of us beginner lack.

Start searching DA for tutorials, check youtube and most importantly practice. With time you will build your own style and tools.
Hidden by Commenter
Sorry to reply twice, but I wanna explain a bit more. I know how to blend colors for shading and stuff like, what I need is for example which brushses, settings, should I use? What tools do I use to blend? Which brushes for eye lashes? How people have portrait done in full grey and change the tint and add colors in a single step? I know what details/shading are needed to add to make something look realistic, I just need how I go about adding those things with the tools in PS or PSP.
Hidden by Commenter
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional General Artist
It's ok, I've watched many tutorials now, and 99% of the tutorials for photoshop work for PSP. I have Corel Painter and I hate it lol. PSP works pretty for me, it's fairly similiar to photoshop. Thanks for all of your help!
Hidden by Commenter
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional General Artist
Thank you so so much for all of the info! Just one last question. I just saw your response (I just saw your response a few minutes about working with color first). I tried the greyscale method last night and I quite liked working in the grey scale first. Working so much with graphite I had an easier time drawing with the greyscale.

This is how I stacked my initial layers with the grey scale

Lineart
Highlights
shadow
Greybase

And when I wanted to add color, I put a color layer underneath lineart, changed the blending mode to color, had a low opacity of about 15-20 and started adding the color.

This is how it came out, although I royally effed up one of the layers and couldn't undo, and It didn't end up coming out as well as it should've, I like the face, neck and wing (I totally botched the horns). it's only my second painting, I'll be more careful next time lol.

I was wondering if you knew how this guy is adding color? Any idea? It's about 2:08 into the video. [link]
His colors are so dark dramatic.
endave Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Great links! I am on a favoriting spree ;)
I guess the main thing is what tools to use at what time and how to use them. I know the basics of drawing, it's how to apply the tools I need to learn. I did this one It came out fairly well, but that's because the image I was working from has no real textures, depth etc so it was a fairly easy portrait to do. I'm having a difficult time with anything else I try.
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
Check some of the tutorials that are here on dA in the Stocks and Resources category.
:iconmsmuffinphotography:
MsMuffinPhotography Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Watching The Bob Ross show can really help! If you're talking paint, not digital paint. ^-^
He teaches techniques and things that are really helpful and encouraging.

That's all I can really say on the subject, though. >.<
endave Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You can find several tutorials on DA. I have used several and they were all helpful. Example walk through for a portrait painting [link]

There isn't really a step by step what to do for a full painting. Everything comes down to style and what works for you. I typically only look at tutorials for techniques and not so much the finished result unless you were trying to pretty much paint the same thing...
Add a Comment: