Details

Closed to new replies
November 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Tips on returning to anime

Flagged as Spam

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Let it flow. Don't think too much about fitting into boxes.
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I had the same issue very recently. But in my case I went down the semi realism path because I wanted my style to have influences of realism, I hate pointy chins and huge bug eyes. All I could really say is look at series which have an art style you want to emulate. It might take a little bit to get back into the flow of anime but you'll get there soon enough, don't worry.
:iconsuperrose1:
Superrose1 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
Oh my, well, i havnt actually found my own art style (I wind up drawing fan-art most of the time and i try to stick to that particular style while drawing fan art) so drawing precise 'anime' style is difficult. As there's the awkwardly pointy style that would generalized in Cowboy Bebop (though its a mixture of pointy and round, dem pointy chins) and i suppose Panty and Stocking is the best example for Rounded, since almost everything there is round. I guess the best way to get back into the 'style' is to pick an anime whose style you like, look at one of the characters, and simply draw the face shapes. and eyes? Pffft there are like a gazillion different eyes you can draw for anime. Eyes the size of dinner plates, just black dots, manly with eyelashes, round, sharp, wide, small, boxy, triangles. Eyes are for you to decide.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Why would you want to draw exactly like that.
There's a wide range in Anime styles, and you have some with smaller eyes and chins as well.

My style isn't exactly typical anime either, yet it's widely considered to be anime-ish.
I don't think you should worry so much about what's the standard. Just do what you love :)
:icontakemakei:
TakemaKei Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
anime is basically simplified realistic. what you need to do is use your semi-realistic cartoon style and apply them.
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
There isn't one "anime style" you know. I think you might be overthinking this. It's cartooning, fold in whatever influences you like.
Flagged as Spam
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Japanese cartoons, exactly. The art of cartooning is a global thing. You deliberatively simplify details for a desired effect. The differences are regional but not as rigid or as insular as you might think.

This show is from the 70's: [link]
80's: [link]
90's: [link]
00's: [link]

This isn't even going into individual authors or designers.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012   Digital Artist
Just look at the ones you want it to look like and practice drawing those.
Add a Comment: