Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 35

how long does it take to be good at digital art?

:iconofficialpoypoy:
Officialpoypoy Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student General Artist
and what do you recommend me to practice over months?

I wanna be very very good someday, im so inspired by freakin amazing artists in deviantart but i know itll take a loong time but itll definetly be worth it cuz of the challenge.

what should i do for the following months or weeks to improve?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconluciana-lu:
Luciana-Lu Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I think it depends on the person and a lot of factors. Time specially, because practice everyday helps a lot.
I've been trying since 2007 (with a huge pause) till today. And I've been using corel painter and photoshop, I recomend both, they are very good programs !
:iconshakuchan1995:
ShakuChan1995 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It depends on the person. Practise a lot, browse tutorials, try out new things, and never stay on the same level. If you got something wrong in your previous art, and someone points it out, don't make the same mistake in your new drawing! Not even if it's hard...

Check out draw it again and improvement meme's.
You will see artists who don't improve a lot in years, you will see ones who improve quite a lot.
I've met ones who had normal improvement for 4 years, then in the 5th year...improve so much more than in last 4 years together!
I'd say it only depends on you.
:iconssu-chan:
Ssu-Chan Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
I think that it matters about practice and effort.

The more practice you do, the better you will get, and while practicing, you should be positive and confident. Nothing should put you down about your art, and effort plays a role as well. The more wholeheartedly you draw, the better you will become. :D :D
:iconjjmyster22:
JJmyster22 Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Hm, well starting out with good programs would be good.

I use Corel, but SAI and Photoshop seem to be very popular. Some people even use Paint!

Doing digital artwork though is very hard using a mouse unless you're spectacularly good at mouse art, so I'd suggest getting a tablet.

After all of that you should go look at the directions on how to use that program and then look at references, tutorials, and so on.

In the end though, it's your level of dedication that will get you to where you want to be.
:icongiovannyarce:
GiovannyArce Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Hi Officialpoypoy, the only way you can get better at digital art, is practice... practice, practice and practice. There is no secret, just practice, remember that, PRACTICE! . So here my little tips:

- Get a wacom tablet
- Go here, try to see all the videos, for beginners is the best ( I even see this videos) [link]
- Once you feel confident with yourself , then you can jump right here: [link]
- Don't stop, don't stop, keep drawing, practice, practice and practice

Software:
- photoshop
- if you can't get photoshop try gimp (I was using it for a very long time, gimp is just a tool, just like photoshop)
- Artrage
- Corel Painter
- Krita (open source just like gimp).

If you need any help, let me know, good luck.
:iconattentionspam:
attentionspam Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't think being Good/Bad is as important as the fact that you at least create something.

Create, Create, Create.

Eventually, you won't be a n00b anymore.

Practice makes Perfect?

Also, figure out why/what you're creating before you randomly start, and make lots of compositional thumbnails to brainstorm the best way to pose a frame.....so you don't waste hours of time refining a poorly executed composition?

Not that I know or anything :P
:iconofficialpoypoy:
Officialpoypoy Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
THANKS yea i agree about having an idea before painting thats why i loosely sketch first thanks though cuz its important to remember.

i have a new digital artwork, its my second good attempt. I went into more detail too, please let me know what u think :)

[link]
:iconboogol:
Boogol Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Digital art like any other at medium takes time to master. People have different learning curve so what might be 1 year of progress to you might take someone else one month. That does not mean you should be discourage it just means that if you want to archieve to their level you need to work harder.

One of the best wasy to improve is by studying photographs/realism and trace professional art works. Tracing is a good tool to practice your techniques especially when you are just starting out. However, you need to remember that traced drawings [b]should never be uploaded online[/b]- they should only for you to see.
:iconsearchingforfreedom:
SearchingforFreedom Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student Digital Artist
In my opinion, there are two keys to becoming skilled in anything.

PRACTICE and EXPOSURE.

Practice is obviously important because it's the only way you can begin to improve in your art. When working with digital media, decide what you want to focus on improving. It could be shading, or maybe you need to work on your line art a bit more. Spend the most time on what you want to work on the most and go from there. Don't feel pressured into finishing your piece. It's all about the process, not the end result.

Exposure is also really important because you'll need to look at digital art done right in order to determine your progress. Inspiration is crucial, but some people don't understand that you need to look for inspiration rather than wait for it. Exposing yourself to great digital artists can help you be inspired to improve and to try new techniques. Also, exposing your art to art communities helps you receive needed critique. Critique is another really important key to improvement.

There's no magic trick to be good at digital art. Practice and expose yourself to the art world and you will see results in your art in time.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Use something to draw from.

If you look at your art and the original, you can see a lot of things you need to fix.

The first thing you should get use to is when you look at something you should sketch everything out to get an idea of the layout. (What goes where?)

The more time you put into the sketch to get it right the better it will look without needed to go back to adjusting the sketch.

Not everything is going to work with you until your hand skills improve. You can work with hand writing just to get use to the tool in your hand and do what ever you need. Then that skill will make drawing a little easier.

If you learn from drawing life you learn it in a perspective view. Not flat like cartoons. Then you start to work with perspective, that would be easy.

If you just draw anything you feel like drawing then you should not expect learning much, but sometimes doing what makes you feel good helps to relax. Nothing needs to be really hard unless you use pressure as a reason to work harder and improve faster.

Competition can do that even if the people you compete against don't know you are competing against them. You just struggle to be better as soon as you can.

Then what could take you years could only take you months.
A word of caution; It is a mental stress state, and it can encourage Jealousy, Rage, and Hate, depending how hard you push yourself, and how much you feel you need it. So, it is better if you don't show that to the people you are competing with.
Add a Comment: