Closed to new replies
November 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

Making a nice circle in SAI

:iconfluffpuffgerbil:
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Anyone know how to do that? Because making a circle w/ the curve function in the linework layer and editing it doesn't work too well for me. xD

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondanielwachter:
danielwachter Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012   Digital Artist
If you want a filled out circle just use the select pen, adjust its size to how big you want your circle and tap it once on the canvas without moving your pen anywhere. You now should have a perfect circle selection. Then fill the selection with any colour you want. If you want an outlined circle you can do the same but afterwards make a slightly smaller selection inside your circle then erase anything that's inside.
You can still resize the circle later if you want it to have another size.
Hope that helps.
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks, but it just doesn't work too well since I can't get the borders to be even(since I want a thin outlined circle)
:icontakemakei:
TakemaKei Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
use google docs. if you use gmail then use your gmail account to log in.
open a new drawing, create a circle, save as png. you will have a circle on a transparent background. Thats what I do with my shapes.
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ah, thanks! Will do
:iconraiinysummer:
raiinysummer Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
Youtube tutorials are unbelievably helpful.
I will attempt to remember to possibly watch some of those! ((I lose attention with videos easily)
:iconraiinysummer:
raiinysummer Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
It's half a minute lmao x)
Have fun. Hope it helps.
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh pfl. xD I haven't clicked into it.
:iconcosmic-doodle:
Cosmic-doodle Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I just draw it again and again until I like it how it looks. :nod:
That sounds so tedious. T^T
:iconcosmic-doodle:
Cosmic-doodle Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
With practice, its gets easier. Most of the time I keep redoing it to get it just how I like it, not only because I made a mess up.
Trouble with circles? fill up a canvas full of them. :#1:
True. =) :nod:

Actually, my freehand with the linework layer, using the curve tool on stabaliser s-7 didn't turn out too bad after some editing!
:iconmeganxichigo:
meganxichigo Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
Ughhh I have the same problem. I usually just make a little tiny circle, then blow it up... then delete it and cry for a while before drawing what is supposed to be a circle and being alls leik "close enough" :iconcryforeverplz:
xD I sorry. Hopefully us SAI users will be able to find an easier way to deal with circles
:icondarue:
darue Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Use the pen tool and click once to create the circle of whatever size you want, then reduce the size slightly and click the eraser to erase the middle part.

It's quite workaround, and, as others have said, you can always use another program and just import it. Of course, I would use the workaround I said above for anything less than 500px (SAI's max brush size), since it's less work.
I think I might just try the other program and import it since using the paint brush+eraser thing doesn't quite works for smooth even lines for the circle. >.> Plus I work on a huge canvas--- not that that matters since I can just resize the circles.
:icondarue:
darue Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Another option is just to make one very large circle in your program of choice and copy+paste an resize it in SAI.

Doesn't matter much, I suppose, especially if you're just using them for reference or building on them.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. =)

Of course, I seem to be having trouble getting things to be transparent. =.= So I went the slightly tedious way of selecting the circle in SAI carefully and then copying+pasting+resizing into my picture.

Ohhh the things artists do...
:iconhippo-rim-job:
hippo-rim-job Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I do what shininginthedarkness does honestly. I use another program to make circles.

And here I thought I was the only one...
Looks like that's the best way to do it in SAI. =/)

Oh well. xD you'd think Sai would have a circle maker thing... It just seems like it would.
:iconhippo-rim-job:
hippo-rim-job Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Maybe there is and there are just more than a handful of us that can't figure it out.
Maybe. *.* If there is, I hope the person who DOES know would come by and tell us all. xD
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
I have literally resorted to making a circle in some other program, pasting it, and tracing over it =_=
That sounds like such a pain. DX What program should I use? I'm gimp-incompetent.. xD

((BTW, how are your leachianus geckos doing? I'm hoping to get one the end of January!)
I just use paint.NET. You can use MSPaint, though, it's all the same for a circle.

The leachies are doing very good! They just keep growing! I sort of wish my female would STOP growing so the male could catch up to her.
[link]

I'll warn you, the ones I have, at least, are tempermental bastards. But it's worth it.
Alright, I'll check out paint.NET. =)

And that's good to hear! Lily is gorgeous. *,* I want a male leachie and I want to name him Willson. xD

I hear they can be very tempermental. Reminds me of my gargoyle, but I bet leachies bite harder, even though my garg and leave a few nice n bloody puncture wounds on my finger. xD I've got a ton of baby geckos now from the male and female I paired up last Feburary. I'm keeping two of the hatchlings, my older sister's keeping one, and my younger sister's keeping one. I'm selling one in a couple weeks and then I'm left with three hatchlings to sell and one adult female I'm trying to sell. T,T I might be able to sell these three to a breeder at the next reptile expo, where I hope to get the leachie, and then the breeder can sell the hatchlings and my adult female at their table. Geckos are so much fun though and I can't wait to pair up these two next breeding season:[link]
[link]

Hopefully I'll get some yellow/orange spotty babies. =)

Are you planning on trying to breed your leachies since you got a male and female?
Well, you're used to rhacs at least. I've found the temperature to be a big factor in how nippy my leachies are.

One time Lilly got my pinkie finger really good, because she was hungry and was literally trying to eat it. She didn't let go for half an hour, we had to pry her mouth open. I still have a bit of nerve damage in that finger. We started feeding her mice after that (prekilled obv.). But she is just an angry eating machine when the weather's warm.

A normal defensive bite wouldn't be that bad, usually when she does that she's not really even trying very hard.

The guy who runs my local reptile show has a leachie, I think it's a Grand Terre type A, and it has to be 15 inches long. It is as big as a blue tongued skink. It is TERRIFYING. That's the biggest type of leachie though. I think some R.l. henkelis only get 9 inches.

I am hoping to breed them, they're both Mt. Khogis dark morphs so I should do pretty well.
The one thing I've learned about leachies is that A. they don't like crickets and B. when they're young they're crazy about superworms, but they grow out of that. Enoch will only eat CGD and bananas, Lilly eats CGD, bananas, and mice. We're actually hoping to get Enoch to take mice soon.
Yeah, I've got a lot of experience with rhacs. Do you happen to be on PangeaReptile.com? That site's a LIFESAVER and all the people on there are pretty awesome.

Do you just feed Lilly pinky mice(well, as far as the mice go) or do you feed her bigger mice? I've heard of them eating the pinkies, but nothing bigger.. I could see them being able to eat hoppers, though.
So, warmer temps=cranky hungry leachie? In your case that is? My room(reptile room..) is about ~75*f, if not a bit warmer.

At my local expo I held a young leachie(probably about 55-75g in size, fit comfortably in my hand, but it was only a bit bigger than the adult garg I had held), but then the guy who owned the leachie had pointed out at the table next to him that there was a HUGE black leachie, and he wasn't kidding, that thing was awesome. I like the Grand Terre and I think, what is it... Nu Ana? Something like that...

I thought that the R.I. henkelis were the smaller subtype anyway... I don't know too much about their locales though, honestly. =) I see a lot of people have hybrids. Is Mt. Khogis the official name of their locales?
And if the young ones like superworms, that's perfect since I'm working on breeding them and should have a good amount in 3-4 months. Gotta start breeding the supers since the bearded dragons are getting expensive with all the crickets they ate... I bred and fed them superworms before, then decided to switch back to crix, and now I'm tired of those and am back to supers.

And good luck breeding them! Have they met each other yet? I hear that leachies are pretty picky about who they are paired with, and that's one of the reasons breeding them can be a challenge. =( That and they take forever to mature.
I do believe I posted on Pangea looking for after-the-fact advice about the bite. I'm not really active on any herp forums though.

Lilly can eat 3 fuzzies at a go @_@. I have to feed her less than she wants to eat to make sure she doesn't get too full. I'd be a bit nervous to ever give her anything bigger... well, maybe rat pups. She can also eat half a banana at a time.

I check to see if Lilly is hungry by tapping the top of her cage and seeing if she snaps at my finger.

They're divas, and some days they'll just decide that what you're trying to feed them is not what they want to eat. I keep a couple different flavors of baby food on hand to mix with CJD, as well as whole bananas and mice (have these for the snakes anyway).

Ok, here's the deal on the subspecies. New Caledonia has one big island called Grand Terre, and many smaller islands. All the leachies that live on Grand Terre are R.l.leachianus, and all the others are R.l.henkeli. These are divided into smaller groups named after the location or island they live on. Mt. Khogis is on Grand Terre, so they're leachianus, and the Nu Anas are henkelis.

This site [link] has all this info (and explains it better than me) and was written by the dude who actually was the one who went to New Caledonia and brought the geckos back in the first place.
It's ok to just pick whatever you think is pretty ;p

The guy I brought my leachies from (he's awesome, he specializes in dark morph rhacs) says that he once had a female leachie kill a male. It is not uncommon for them to lose toes or tails to each other. I am TERRIFIED of putting them together. We're planning on putting a divider in a 75 gallon so they can get used to each other like that.
That's a lot of fuzzies! Do you dust them with any vitamins/calcium or because of the bones in the mice you don't?

Eh, I always hear not to feed geckos baby food because of making their diet unbalanced, but hey, whatever works for you! I won't judge the way to take care of your geckos! Do you have any set feeding schedule? I just feed my geckos every 3 days and I just give them CGD. I don't generally feed crickets, but one of my hatchlings(almost 3g, he's getting so big!xD) likes them a ton. It's at the age where everything that moves is food, so it'll snap at my finger if I move it around the outside of his kritter keeper. I can't wait until it gets big enough to sex. I don't care really if it's a male or a female, but I named it Len... which is a sort of male name. xD

And now I understand the subspecies. I see a lot of GTxNu Ana mixes for sale, actually.

What size enclosures do you have for your leachies now? People's opinions seem to differ on what to keep them in, some like big enclosures, others find their leachies are a lot more comfortable in smaller enclosures...
I'll probably get a really young leachie since the smaller they are the cheaper they are(and I like to watch them grow), and will keep it in a 6qt sterlite bin, then upgrade it to a 15 or 16qt bin, then finally I'll put it in a 61 or 64qt bin, which is about the same size as a big exo-terra. That's the size I use for my adult cresties, but they're pretty active geckos, so they need a good amount of room. I hear people say their leachies are pretty, well, lazy. xD I'm definitely sure if varies gecko to gecko, though.

And I LOVE dark morph rhacs. Have you ever seen a nearly black crested gecko? Those are pretty cool, but I've only seen a couple.

Can leachies regrow their tails? The hatchling I mentioned above(Len) lost his tail to my cat. I was holding him out in the kitchen to ask my mom something and he jumped out of my hand and our crazy cat jumped off the table and grabbed him in her mouth, so he dropped his tail, she dropped him, and that was that. xD I put Len back in his enclosure and now he's managing just fine without his tail... just walks like he's got a wedgie.

And that's a good idea with the divider and stuff to introduce them. =)
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: