November 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

What is a Layer Mask?

:iconlola-ferricks:
Lola-Ferricks Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
... and how does it work?

I'm making a picture right now and I know people use Layer Masks to create their work and I'm curious to know exactly what they do.

Thanks for your time!
~Lola:rose:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconphoenixleo:
This was a additional help for me :nod:

:iconlittlesardines:
LittleSardines Nov 4, 2012  Professional Filmographer
They basically define transparency on a layer without losing image information from that layer - i.e. if you have a photograph of a person with a beach background, but wanted to put them into a city background you could use a layer mask to hide the beach areas of the image with the person, and have only the person show on top of the city image. So it's kinda like turning parts of a layer off - you're not throwing any information away, you're just telling it what parts of the layer to show.
Here's a tutorial on them: [link] =)
Lola-Ferricks Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh, I see! Thank you so much. ^^
There's just a small problem. I'm using SAI and when I want to use any tool other than the pen on the layer mask, it doesn't want to. Do you know why? :(
:iconlittlesardines:
LittleSardines Nov 4, 2012  Professional Filmographer
The way I had to do it was to use the pen tool, but select the "Exchange transparency" box near the color selectors, then you just use black to hide and white to reveal. Other than that I found you could use the selection tools is you've already got a solid line art going. :shrug: lol, I'm not super well versed in SAI so there might be other ways to get it to work for you also. =)
Lola-Ferricks Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
OK, thank you so much. :aww:
Add a Comment: