Closed to new replies
November 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Help on a realism assignment?

:icondragonap:
Dragonap Nov 4, 2012  Student Writer
Hello Deviants! This is one of my first times on the forums, so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I'd very much like your advice~

So in my studio art class our latest assignment was to attempt a "photorealistic" piece. I decided to draw something I hadn't really tried before, and I settled on recreating a picture of a bee I had taken a few years prior.

[link]

So, this is how far I am now: [link]

As you can see, I am somewhat done, aside from some random bee legs and background flowers (I changed them from the flowers in the picture at my art teacher's request; they won't end up "as realistic," but I'm not worried about them as much). At this point I am kicking myself a bit for working solely off of the photo and not mixing in some bee references, but that's too late now)

What I was wondering is, how can I improve this piece? Are there any areas that look like they need work, anything that would make the piece a more cohesive whole, such as adding purple back-lighting to the bee or something? I've never studied light, so I don't know. Also, I am having some troubles getting the "fuzz" textures to look quite right. I guess at this point I don't want it to look exactly like the photo so much as I want the textures and lighting to look realistic in the context of the drawing itself.

TL;DR: Have any advice for my photorealism attempt? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconphoenixleo:
The background needs a bit more yellow-green with brighter yellow tones in the left corner and kind of going in a dull dark tone in an arc from the upper left corner to the lower right corner. As someone else said, add a brighter purple/violet tone to the flower and put in the spaces between the flower groups, otherwise it looks very clumped. The eyes need a brighter white tone reflecting. The photo has the bee's abdomen in a luminescent look so try to achieve that. Add a shade of turquoise blues and greens on the abdomen's first ring and add the fuzzy look at the bottom. The wings look like they are completely white or have light charging through them, so make it transparent by allowing more purple from the flower to shine through by painting it a bit more and reducing the white flair. Instead, go really thing and add low opacity white tendrils on them. It will give off that 'crisp' wing look. Brighten the colours to keep contrast as the lower part of the abdomen is indistinguishable from the flowers' dark side (or I can't see well because I am sleepy :dead: )
:iconartofjeffhebert:
ArtofJeffHebert Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'd say add more detail to the abdomine of the be and the thorax fuzz. Add a bit more highlight as well and you'll have a dead ringer on your hands!
:iconcharlottexxi:
CharlotteXXI Nov 4, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Yeah you definitely need contrast between the flower and the bee. Right now it's hard to distinguish between the black part of the bee (sorry, don't know what that's called) and the flower. Make the flower much more saturated and it'll have good contrast with the bee.

Also, if you look at the photo, you can see the flower reflected part of its purple-ish light onto the bee (really visible on the yellow furry part). You'd want that in your drawing too.
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Nov 4, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
It's a great attempt. I think one thing that would improve it is to brighten up the piece a little bit. If you flip back and forth between the photo and the painting, you'll notice yours looks a bit dull compared to the photo. I think you can use a brighter purple on the flowers and make the background a little more yellow-green, and it'd make the piece pop a lot more.
Thanks so much for the advice! I would never have noticed otherwise, haha, but now that you point it out the WIP was really dull. Thankfully, it was a quick fix, just playing around with the saturation/contrast/brightness sliders~
:iconshadowthecat971:
shadowthecat971 Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i have no idea how to help hehe ^^' all i do know is that bee looks really cool
Heh thanks Shadow~ ^^
Add a Comment: