Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

Noobish Gimp/Photoshop Elements Brush Question?

:iconurfallenangel90:
UrFallenAngel90 Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm getting back in to drawing Manga and using Gimp/PSE9 again since getting my Bamboo Create tablet last month. I've not used a tablet, Gimp/PSE or drawn Manga in a while, so I'm a little rusty.

I can't for the life of me get my brushes in either program set to give me the smooth, varying thickness "Manga style" lines for outlining my drawings. I've looked for tutorials and videos here and diffent places online, and either I'm not wording my searches right or I'm over looking something.

Can anyone tell me how to set my brushs/which brush to use or where I can download some to give me this effect? I prefer using Gimp, but info on how to do this in either program would be great. Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconzbugni:
zbugni Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist
I love varying line thickness, and I spent so long trying to figure out how to do it without a tablet when I was but a noob.
:iconapastelbee:
apastelbee Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student General Artist
Yeah, you have to set up GIMP sadly to use your tablet on it ((at least that's what I had to do :c))
Open up GIMP with your tablet ((i don't know why you have to do this?? But that's the only way GIMP will register your tablet sometimes)), and go to edit>preferences>input devices>configure extended input devices... You should be at a screen where your pointer, and tablet is listed. Click on where your tablet name is listed, and change the mode to screen. If your tablet has an eraser, do that to it as well. Save and close. Tick the 'save input devices settings on exit box' and click OK, to exit out back to GIMP.
If your brush isn't set up for it, you'll have to set that up as well ((yeah I know, complicated)). There's a tutorial which I just found for this!! [link]

Hopefully this'll work for you. You have to go through a lot of steps. Oh, and here's another link if you get stuck on inputting your device --> [link]
You -might- have to restart GIMP to get it working.
UrFallenAngel90 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh gosh, thanks (I love it when people give me detailed commments). I just assumed that once you installed the tablet, it would automatically set itself up with other programs--I was wondering why the eraser on my pen didn't erase, hahah.
Haha, no problem!! GIMP confused me at first as well when I downloaded the 2.6 version, and then the 2.8 version made it even harder. Tablets usually install themselves on other programs I think; it's just GIMP which is a bit weird :d
UrFallenAngel90 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'll be more vigilant next time :iconninjaglompplz:

I like Gimp 'cause it's got more of the full photoshop features than PSE9, but for some reason the color picker won't work, it just defaults to black; sometimes the brush/ink/pencil tool won't draw, and sometimes when I switch tools, it glitches and jumps back and forth between tools. I've reinstalled it a few times and it doesn't help. It sucks Photoshop has to be so expensive.
apastelbee Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student General Artist
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Gimp is a bit glitchy sometimes, but considering the price of Photoshop, it's worth it! I've messed around with a few other free photo-editing softwares, and I haven't found one which lives up to GIMP. To be honest, unless you're a professional, it's really not worth buying Photoshop for just yourself. Apparently Photoshop Elements is a cheaper version of Photoshop CS6?? I'm not really sure haha, but at the moment I'm fine with GIMP and SAI paint tool :/
UrFallenAngel90 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I used to have Photoshop CS2 Extended around the time it came out. I got it installed for free from a guy who had a PC repair shop at the mall that I bought some memory for my old laptop from. It sucked when the laptop crashed and he didn't have his shop anymore to get it back, lol.
Last tax season I was loooking into getting photoshop again, and wanted the Master Collection or whatever.
The price on Adobe said $500, and when I checked to see how much shipping was, it came out to be $1,000. Apparently $500 was just for photoshop and not the whole collection... it was kind of misleading. I almost thought that was a good deal. :unimpressed:

I got PSE9 with my Bamboo tablet, and it's just a less fancy version of photoshop. The only "professional" things I do are, I sometimes makes advertisements/flyers for a few friends of ours who have a band and play at local bars and stuff, and every now and then I'll go down to the local Paramount and see if they need any advertising help with plays; other than that, it's just for a hobby. Gimp gets the job done, though. I downloaded SAI a few days ago after seeing so many people here using it lately, but I haven't figure out how to use it. :/
apastelbee Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student General Artist
aw, that's just bad luck. but yeah, I've seen a few good deals on photoshop at large warehouse stores [?] like Costco, where they sell for trade, etc. I can't remember how much it was, but it was quite a good deal for photoshop cs5! but i'm too young, haha, to buy it by myself, and I don't think I could talk my parents into it. I think I've got a version of Photoshop Elements on my laptop or something, but I've never really used it. I've never really felt a need for it in all honesty!
SAI is really more useful for painting/airbrushing due to its blending tools and customizable brushes I guess, but I don't think it'd be too useful for advertisements and flyers unless you're using it for painting and stuff, but the texture options are pretty good. It takes a while to get used to it, but it's pretty good for linearting and colouring! I'd go as far as to say that it's the best (cheap) program for digital painting. Feel free to ask any questions if you need to bout it if you need, but it just takes a bit of experimenting. It has so many little effects and things that can touch up a painting! One of the bad things is that you can't insert text; you have to go into a separate program and copy and paste it in. :c
oh, and if you're looking for another good tablet program, firealpaca is pretty good new program! it's free, and is sort of a mix between sai paint tool and photoshop.
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you want to ink in gimp, don't use paintbrush, use the ink tool. Set smooth stroke on, with the first value (the one that is at 20 by default) to about 50 and keeping the second (I think it was weight or gravity or something) at default. Set the size variation to 1,0, speed variation to 0, tilt doesn't matter since your tablet doesn't have tilt anyway.

Then adjust the size and shape of the brush and start inking.
Add a Comment: