October 15, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

Digital Canvas Size

:icontheduckee:
TheDuckee Featured By Owner Oct 15, 2011
Hi all,

I'm learning how to digital paint and my question is about sizing. Eventually, WHEN I'm good enough I'd like to be able to sell prints of my artwork... I use photoshop and I'm just curious what is a good size (or range of sizes) to work in so that my digital art can be printed and look nice when printed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

~TheDuckee :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkingofvoid:
kingofvoid Featured By Owner Oct 18, 2011
Deviantart recommendations:

[link]
TheDuckee Featured By Owner Oct 19, 2011
Thank you for sharing that link.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Oct 16, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think it is better to start smaller because the brushes are only so big, and you want brushes to work with. Before you work on the details make it as large as it needs to be, because huge canvas sizes can make the biggest brush look small. That is why you don't want it too big to draw the main part. It is like using an artist brush to paint the house.

Most computers will tell you what size is best to start working on artwork, because if it is too big or too small the brushes will get jerky with the screen trying to keep up. A size that is just right will have a smoother flow.

The finishing size don't need to be more than 300 dpi, because most printer don't print more than that, and transferring it to the printer puts a lot on the Ram and Buffer. Too much will crash. I use to go with 40 inches by 36 inches, at 300 dpi, but the file size would be one gigabyte. with a lot of layers. The minimum for DA Prints is 36 x 24 at 100 dpi and that is easy to put into pixels because you just add 00 to the inches which would be 3600 x 2400 pixels.

What ever you go with when you pick a size you can always resize it and the pixel size would be at the top and the inches and dpi are at the bottom. It really don't matter which one you use to change the size, because both do the same thing.

Your drawing would look blurry when it is larger because it is so small, and it light take a lot of work adding details, but I will be a higher quality with a lot more detail.
:iconfenris31:
Fenris31 Featured By Owner Oct 16, 2011  Professional Digital Artist
The biggest the better. Cause' you can work a lot better in the details and the zoom won't pixelate your art. In a 300 dpi.
:iconkisu-kenata:
kisu-kenata Featured By Owner Oct 16, 2011  Student General Artist
My digital canvas size is usually 4000x6000 pixels with a resolution of 500dpi. I id see that that size is too big, I resize it when I'm done with the artwork.
:iconim-promptu:
im-promptu Featured By Owner Oct 16, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Prints are at least 300DPI. Personally I make my canvas size A4 600 DPI. It really depends on how much your pooter can handle ^^"
:iconsmexyheroes:
Smexyheroes Featured By Owner Oct 15, 2011
so we all know that 300 dpi is good print quality
but how that relate to pixels...

i have no idea :)
but i remember reading some tutorials a long time ago from julie dillon where she mentions using anywhere from 3000+ pixels upwards. she probably uses another size by now...

I have fiddled around with a lot of sizes myself and I'm very comfortable with 2400 X 3200 pixels at the moment. Anything lower seems a bit too small for detailing in general. Anything higher tends to lag my computer at times since I tend to leave 10+ browsers open in the background along with skype and winamp. and there have been times when i used an a softbrush at a size of 2000+ to create certain effects at my canvas when minimized. It would totally lag if my canvas was lets say... 9600 X 9600 and i was constantly trying to draw with huge brushes...
:iconkisu-kenata:
kisu-kenata Featured By Owner Oct 16, 2011  Student General Artist
dpi: dots per inch.
Each pixel is a dot
TheDuckee Featured By Owner Oct 15, 2011
Very helpful puppy! I think I got it. The main problem is that I did have it set to pixels and I am not good at relating pixels to inches without help. OK now, this brings up another question... I think I know the answer, but can I adjust my size now? The painting isn't complete maybe about 60-70%... or is adjusting the size going to affect the look of the painting?
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Make sure you use the 'reply' button to reply to people!
Add a Comment: