Closed to new replies
July 23, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

Lines aren't smooth but are pixelated in Photoshop

:iconkiriisu:
kiriisu Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Whenever I make a new canvas, I use 7"x5" size, 300 dpi resolution. But my lines look jagged and pixelated, not smooth like in SAI. (My Paint Tool SAI just expired, so I'm trying to get used to photoshop.)

Should I change the resolution or use a different tool other than pencil or brush? I really want smooth lines. Help please?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmegandeanok:
megandeanok Featured By Owner Aug 1, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
As others have pointed out, draw at 100% to see what you're actually producing, but it may be just a Photoshop issue. When you're working in large resolutions like 300dpi+, Photoshop will sometimes show you the picture in a lower resolution to suck up less resources. This is most noticeable when you work with text or any other vector information. Photoshop will automatically show it as rasterized pixels, but as long as you save it with the vector info in place, it wont be jagged-edged.
:iconyashiro-vibez:
Yashiro-Vibez Featured By Owner Jul 28, 2011  Professional Digital Artist
i run into the same problem all the time but i believe everyone is correct use the brush tool, i tried anti-alias and smoothign and contractions and ugh its still fugly
:iconrb-illustration:
RB-Illustration Featured By Owner Jul 27, 2011   Digital Artist
No one's suggested anti-alias yet I noticed X3 Somewhere in the program should be an option for anti-aliasing your brush. Play with it and see if it gets any smoother, it should do. X3 I can't tell you exactly where it is though because I don't know what version you have.
kiriisu Featured By Owner Jul 27, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Okay thanks I will try that out. :)
:iconalalampone:
alalampone Featured By Owner Jul 25, 2011  Student General Artist
I suggest tinkering with the brush settings if you're still having problems.
Fade: 0
Hue Jitter: 0
Scatter: 0
Spacing: 10
Hardness: 95
That's my settings and my lines come out very smooth. I hope that helps.
kiriisu Featured By Owner Jul 25, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you, I will definitely try that! :)
:icongashu-monsata:
Gashu-Monsata Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2011  Professional Digital Artist
Zoom in to draw, use massive canvases (I usually use canvases around 2000-3000px large) and shrink them back down once you've finished drawing them. Photoshop isn't the same as SAI when it comes to drawing surprisingly... I do prefer SAI for lineart too, but I still use Photoshop more because of the massively customiseable brushes (I'm not sure how to do that in SAI, if it's even possible).
Thank you, someone also suggested that and it works well. :)
:iconthehungrysuccubus:
TheHungrySuccubus Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2011  Professional Digital Artist
Photoshop is finicky. I suggest working on a massive-sized canvas (2000 pix/2000 pix, 600 dpi) to get better quality. Either way, though, the lines will look jacked if you zoom in too much xD
Thanks, that seems to do the trick.
Add a Comment: