Closed to new replies
July 19, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Animated GIF upload to DA

:iconlynxmom:
lynxmom Featured By Owner Jul 19, 2011
I made an animated GIF thing in Photoshop CS5 as per tutorials and when I try to load it into my DA account, it doesn't work- it's just a single frame! Is there some kind of obvious trick I'm missing?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jul 20, 2011  Professional Artisan Crafter
I've noticed if you upload a preview as a .jpg on a .gif deviation, the deviation won't show up. Using a .gif as a preview seems to fix it.
lynxmom Featured By Owner Jul 20, 2011
Ah HA! maybe THAT's my problem! I'll try that at home.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Jul 20, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That image is over 2800x1800 so just one image takes a while to load. It is possible it didn't upload all of it, and not many people will ever see that at full size.

700x500 is big enough. You can see with this [link]

A the size you have I don't think it will be able to see it animate on the internet.
I think it is just too huge. GIF, 2814×1876. If it has more picture to it I can't tell because it takes a while to load.It could be possible you didn't upload all of it, but it really needs to be smaller if it is going to be animated to fit the screen. More like 700x500 at the most. This is about that size and the file size is 1.6M [link]
[link] wasn't supposed to be so huge. I was making the animated gif 300 pixels by something close...

I just know there's gotta be something obvious i'm missing! bah!
Did you use Save Optimize As and put it in the same place.

You can read the download size, an it is huge, so maybe you uploaded the wrong gif file.
:iconpooloflava:
pooloflava Featured By Owner Jul 19, 2011  Student General Artist
First, if it is an animation how is it just one frame? Second, I have uploaded things with over a hundred frames, so unless you try to use it for your icon, file size doesn't matter. How big is the file(pixels)? If it is bigger than 150 by 150 pixels, then you need a preview picture. This is a picture you submit(that DOESN"T move) that people will see unless they click on the picture. Usually they say click to preview so people know its an animation and it is similar to what their pic is of. When you click submit, it should show a red bar at the top saying what you need to do. If it says something about needing a preview image, upload one. Otherwise, if your gif isn't actually an animation(doesn't move, sorry if i sound condescending) then I suggest saving it as a png and uploading it, they are easier to deal with. Other than that I don't know what to tell you.
the one frame is the preview, you're right about that. as it turns out the preview image is the one that's so huge. so where did my png go?
:iconpooloflava:
pooloflava Featured By Owner Jul 20, 2011  Student General Artist
Umm. What is your preview image file type? (Just in case you don't know, the file type is what comes after the .) If it is xcf, bmp, gif, or something like that,deviant art can't handle it. Do not fear!! Just open your preview image in whatever(PS, gimp, or from your picture file, whatever you used to work on it) And click save as. The name of your preview image should show up, so, for example, it could be iamperfect.gif or something. All you do is go behind the . and change it to iamperfect.png Then just make sure you upload the png file to deviant art, not the xcf, gif, whatever(thats for preview. DO upload the gif for your animation, if you want it to move).
Add a Comment: