Closed to new replies
June 10, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

Best computer for animation?

:iconnasukastar428:
NasukaStar428 Featured By Owner Jun 10, 2011  Student General Artist
So I will be starting college in a few months. Now that I really need it, we are gonna go buy a laptop. I will be doing an animation major (there are classes for all sorts of animation, but as of right now, I want to do 2D animation), but I've never really been able to do much experimenting with any software and I don't know which computer would be best.
Could someone tell me what computer would be best for animation? If not a specific computer, then what are the requirements that the computer should have?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjoebob777:
Joebob777 Featured By Owner Jun 13, 2011
For 3D animation, you want a desktop. Laptops are not up to the task of rendering. You'll also want Windows as your OS, opposed to a Mac.
:icongashu-monsata:
Gashu-Monsata Featured By Owner Jun 11, 2011  Professional Digital Artist
I'm going Uni this September to study animation ;) I have a Toshiba laptop, specs are:

RAM- 4 GB
Hard Drive- 500GB
Graphics card- NVIDIA 310M
Processor- Intel Core i7
OS- Windows 7 64 bit

My lappy hasn't failed me thus far for 2d animation or modelling in 3D programs (sometimes at the same time :P).

Hope that helped a little!
:iconxicidal:
Xicidal Featured By Owner Jun 11, 2011  Student General Artist
Get a computer that supports 64bit, you will regret not getting a 64 bit computer if you want to use the newer version of After Effects.
Also 64 for bit programs can use more memory, in a good way, if you are using a 32 bit computer and the program you are running use more then 2gb of ram then it will crash. Honestly, both Mac and Windows 7 both work fine so get what works for you. Macs do have a better color management but it is negligible in my opinion.
The hotkeys are barely different, if you have half a brain. Working between the two(as long as you save as the standard files for both windows and mac which are is most files). You will have more difficulty working with older and newer versions of Adobe products then between the two OS.

I always liked working on my Windows 7 machine and printing off Mac.

hope that was helpful.
NasukaStar428 Featured By Owner Jun 11, 2011  Student General Artist
It was :D thank you very much!
:iconi-am-devan:
I-Am-DeVan Featured By Owner Jun 10, 2011  Student Traditional Artist
Anything that is not a Vista. Stay far away from vista. It is the DEVIL.
:iconcorelila:
corelila Featured By Owner Jun 10, 2011  Student General Artist
Go for a macbook pro. I know people say PCs are just fine, but at a lot of art schools, they'll either laugh at you if you have one, or tell you to buy a different computer. Some places are so adamant about what kind of computer you have that they actually buy it FOR you.

Question! Which art school are you going to? I've done a ton of research on a lot of programs, so I might be able to tell you exactly what you're gonna need. :)
Cool :D in going to the Savannah College of Art & Design.
I dont think Savannah makes you have a laptop. I totally understand the need for one though. I'm going to Memphis College of Art. They had a similar policy on them. I got a macbook pro just in case. Using public computers just seems like a pain in the ass, you know? Considering you're going into animation, you need a lot of RAM.

I personally had a ton of success looking for a laptop on craigslist. I got my macbook pro for $800, and it works great. If you go that route, make sure nothing is fishy though. Make sure everything works, like the cd drive,usb drives, and run a system diagnostics check.

If you go the apple route, you might want to upgrade that RAM, and possibly hard drive space. Video takes up a LOT of space.
Thank you! That was very useful! I wish you luck at college :D
You're welcome! I wish you luck too. Who knows, we may end up working together someday! :)
Add a Comment: