Closed to new replies
June 10, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Digital Art and Graphics Tablets (Help)

:iconhalf-tooth:
Half-Tooth Jun 10, 2011  Professional Artist
Hello, I'm an art student going into my second year at university and I have recently become very itnerested in digital art, and I would really like to get into it myself.
At the moment I have Photshop CS5 and a desktop computer and a Canon EOS 550D Camera, but I have heard it is easier to create digital art when you have a tablet since attempting to draw with a mouse is alot like drawing with a brick.

I'm wondering if it's worth me investing in a tablet since owning one will be so much cheaper than buying paints and canvases on a regular basis. As you can imagine, being a student my budget is small so I'm looking to try and get the best I can for the cheapest possible. (Like buying an older model of graphics tablet or buying a second hand one...)
I'd say I probably want a tablet thats about A4 size and is capable of fairly fine detail as well as being preassure sensitive.

Saying all this, I'm also curious to know if I'll be fine with what I have for now, possibley drawing the initial thing on paper, photographing it and then working into it in photoshop. I coule probably find techniques to paint with a mouse.

I'm not sure at all and I'm feeling a bit stuck. I do just have to say, in obtaining a tablet I can either buy a cheapish one now, or ask for a better one as a christmas present, if you wanted to take that into consideration before advising me.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontimmywithfangs:
TimmyWithFangs Jun 11, 2011
I would greatly recommend a tablet. To me, the mouse just doesn't cut it for drawing, even if I draw on paper and scan in, a tablet is much smoother. Plus, you can get an entry level tablet for pretty cheap so it's totally worth it.

The only thing you should worry about is I notice you said it would save you money on paints and things.

Since you're an art student, you might want to verify that your professors are not too old school to accept digital artwork. Some schools view digital artwork somewhat negatively, so I'd make sure before you invest any of your budget into a digital art, unless you're just talking about this from a hobby perspective.
Half-Tooth Jun 11, 2011  Professional Artist
Thats a good point, but our University is fairly open to basically anything art wise. It isn't as focussed on a particular kind of art as some universities are.

Tablet wise I think I want to get an intuos 4, as I've read a whole bunch of other tablet dicussion threads and the general consencus is if you want to get a good tablet just buy an intuos wacom one. My problem now is I'd like to know what are the advantages and disadvantages between the intous 4 small and the intuos 4 medium. Other than the small one being cheaper and more compact are there any other differences? If not I should be able to get a small one by September or a medium one by December.
:iconso-berauscht:
so-berauscht Jun 11, 2011  Student General Artist
If you're not sure to get one, you could get an older second hand one first and then invest in a new one. That way you get a bigger one without investing too much and it's good for trying out. Try ebay or the resellers at amazon
Half-Tooth Jun 11, 2011  Professional Artist
Hmm.. I really need to try one these out. I think I would really like a medium one, but there is a quite large price difference between the small and the medium :( I geuss the only reason to get a bigger one is if you want to draw reaqlly really long lines while zoomed in, but that's kind of silly.
Half-Tooth Jun 10, 2011  Professional Artist
Hmmm, I have lots to think about. Regarding size though and the area on which you draw I was under the impression that the size of the screen was effectively your canvas. I didn't like the idea of constantly trying to work in A6 or A5, so I thought I'd need a bigger one. It seems this isn't the case, or am I wrong... how do the screens work? It would be handy to know before I decide on which one to buy.
:iconcardinal4:
Cardinal4 Jun 10, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The size of the tablet is magnified to the size of your monitor. So a single stroke on your tablet can be 20 pixels wide or 1000 pixels wide, depending on how far you zoomed into Photoshop when you used your tablet.

My workflow is to draw on pencils, scan it in. Then depending on mood, I might retrace everything on tablet, or simply just use tablet to digitally paint over the pencil lineart. I do this because I can't quite draw on a tablet. Because you can't hand-eye coordinate your lines/curves since the monitor is on one side, and the tablet on the other. But I've seen some people manage it, so it depends.

For me the main factor is pen size/weight. When you grip the thing for hours on end, you don't want it to be too fat or heavy.
I haven't tried a bigger tablet (mine's 4x6 inch), but I don't think it'll really help since I still can't draw lines to go where I want to, so space is not an issue. Unless you're one of those that can draw digitally naturally. Perhaps you should try to locate a demo rig at a store to test.
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Jun 10, 2011  Professional Digital Artist
If you use Photoshop every day or if you draw or paint every day then you may be a good candidate for a tablet.

It isn't easier than a mouse at first, but if you are willing to practice with it ALOT then it becomes a tool that has much better range and flexibility than a mouse.

It's usefulness depends a lot on the motivation, experience and skill of the person using it.

some related discussions:
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
the whole WACOM section on conceptart: [link]
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Jun 10, 2011  Professional Digital Artist
Oooh and this one: "tablet recommendations" [link]
Add a Comment: