Closed to new replies
June 7, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

Best digital art program?

:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Jun 6, 2011  Student Digital Artist
Lately I been getting tired of Gimp. It's really shit. I mean seriously it's deleting layers on my drawings over night. Also the lines aren't very well. The tools don't even make a big difference.

All I heard of was SAI and photoshop. What else would be good? Or what kind of photoshop? I won't have SAI for long since the free trial will end eventually and I really don't think I would buy it. I usually buy things at a store instead of online.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconemoeba:
Emoeba Jun 12, 2011  Student General Artist
Sorry, not really answering here since I love the GIMP, but:

Are you saving as .xcf? That's the WIP format for GIMP, it save layers very politely. Usually I keep one copy of a drawing/photo edit in .xcf form, and another in .png form.

What exactly do you mean my the lines aren't very well? Each tool has a bunch of little settings you can use to change it.
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Jun 12, 2011  Student Digital Artist
Actually I do save as .xcf.
:icontimmywithfangs:
TimmyWithFangs Jun 11, 2011
The thing about Paint Tool Sai is it's only geared towards drawing. I find it to be more fluid and "fun" to use than Photoshop, but it doesn't even have a text tool as far as I know, and none of the great onboard filters and things that Photoshop has.

I much prefer drawing in Paint Tool Sai though, and it is much cheaper and very efficient.

My recommendation would be to not worry too much about which particular program is THE BEST, just find one that is suited to your work flow and go from there. Everybody else's opinion is inconsequential to what allows you to create comfortably.
:iconevilnature:
EvilNature Jun 11, 2011
Well, I really hate Photoshop. I don't like interface. There's nothing attractive for me in it.
I use only Inkscape and Gimp, maybe because my teacher learned me in that programs.
It's better when you try some programes and then you will see which one is the best for you.
I've never used Corel, but I heard it's the same like Gimp.
But everything depend of what do you want to do in it.
:iconhellokattie:
HelloKattie Jun 10, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
One thing that I see is that no one has mentioned Manga Studio. It's perhaps not the BEST digital drawing program, but it is a good one. Can seem a bit complex at first, 'cause you have to figure out where everything is, but once you get the hang of it it's nice. I use it all the time. =) It has very nice line art, too. [link] <<- Is a good example of what it's capable of.

It's compatible with Photoshop, you can import photoshop files to it, just don't have both programs open at the same time, or they'll both bomb out. It'll also lag if you use the air brush too extensively, but other than that, I've never had any glitches or problems with it and it's a very stable program.
:iconslater101:
The Simple answer to this is.. Just have them all.. Some programs have tools others dont.. Also with the power of a Suite EX. PHOTOSHOP + ILLUSTRATOR = Endless results but thats not with only adobe products Gimp can be just as good if your willing to take the time to learn it..
Also Adobe products are famous for cutting back on productivity time, You can use some of the others and still get the same if not better end result..

Sample all of them, Find wich one suites you best and stick to that style..

:-)
:iconso-berauscht:
so-berauscht Jun 9, 2011  Student General Artist
If you don't like Photoshop or Sai, there is always Corel Painter :) Get trail versions for free, get tutorials and try them all out! There is no best digital art program in general, you've got to find out yourself what works best for you. I personally prefer Photoshop over Corel and Sai (I tried them all...) because I can also apply image editing options to my paintings, but that's just me :shrug:
:iconjacks11:
JackS11 Jun 9, 2011   Interface Designer
In terms of overall quality, I don't think you can really beat the Adobe Suite. Photoshop and Illustrator are what I use everyday. There are plenty of cheaper or free alternatives however that are still great to work with. GIMP is a great little program, Corel Draw and Inkscape are also worth looking at.
:icondarrellmoore:
PS Elements, of course :)
:icontw1stedmetalpirate:
whats teh difference between PS CS5 Extended and PS Elements?
Add a Comment: