Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 16, 2010
Link

Statistics

Replies: 23

What's a good size canvas for doing digital painting on?

:iconcrazytooner:
crazytooner Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2010  Student Digital Artist
I'm starting to do digital painting but I never know what size canvas I should use or anything like that so I was hoping you guys might give me your opinion please!

Thanks in advance
:peace:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsilverysoul:
SilverySoul Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I use A3 (3508x4961 pixel) and 300ppi resolution as a standard.
It's enough big to do almost anything and enough small to use. If you can it's better do too big than too small, because you can reduce it's size afterwards and it looks good.
:iconcomavector:
ComaVector Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2011
I use 1800 x 2100 with the resolution 350 most commonly. Yea, I love huge canvases.
:icondragonblade99:
Dragonblade99 Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2011   General Artist
It depends on what you want to pain. I usually make my canvas size somewhere over 1000... sometimes larger. So I would say something like 2000 x 1500 or something like that... you can always adjust it you know. It's better to make it larger if you want to get really detailed, but it also makes your computer load a bit slower (or at least it does for mine) :) And then yes, I also use 300 ppi... It took me a while to figure out that that was the resolution, so if your program doesn't say ppi, or dpi or whatever... just set the resolution to 300.

Hope this helps. :D
:icondragonblade99:
Dragonblade99 Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2011   General Artist
Of course, I should probably mention that I use Gimp a lot. I like using Photo shop... but for some reason I can't get my software to work on my computer and Gimp is so much cheaper than re-buying photo shop. ^_^ :D
:iconbeezlemona:
Beezlemona Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I normally use 1000x1500, 2000x3000 for more detailed stuff.
:iconboscher:
Boscher Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2011
When rendering your images, you'll definitely want to add more pixels so the quality will be higher. If I were you, I'd make it somewhere around 1024 768... if it's just a picture.
:iconac-monster:
AC-monster Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2011
use 1500x1000
:iconyesterdays-tomsawyer:
Yesterdays-TomSawyer Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2011
300dpi works well, and i use 2750x2063. it fits the screen well, and if you are using small brushes, you can use 2s and 3s, and save the 1 for the rly tiny stuff:D
:iconquasm0:
quasm0 Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2010  Student Digital Artist
Depends on where you want to use it what size you want etc...
For example I start my work most of the time as an A4 in 600 dpi (which works out to 4961 x 7016) then I reduce to 72dpi when I upload to deviantart, if however i wanted to print that artwork I would print from the 600 dpi file
I should also mention that 600 dpi is actually more than neccesary when printing most conventional printing is done at 300 dpi. I use 600 because my computer can handle it and it allows me to enlarge my work when printing ... to a point
:iconcrazytooner:
crazytooner Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2011  Student Digital Artist
thank you for your help :) it's been really useful!
Add a Comment: